A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 am

My latest video. This time looking at riding in residential streets. Town riding is often overlooked in favour of corners and 'B' roads.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby crr003 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:28 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:My latest video. This time looking at riding in residential streets. Town riding is often overlooked in favour of corners and 'B' roads.

Good quality.
Were you wearing hi-viz? Did it/would it help in any way?

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:56 pm

crr003 wrote:Good quality.
Were you wearing hi-viz? Did it/would it help in any way?

[geek-mode="on"]
Picture quality was improved on this one and the previous one by conning YouTube into believing the footage is 4K (it's not, it's still the original HD up-scaled) so it streams all resolutions using a higher bandwidth/better codec.
[geek-mode="off"]

Don't start me on HiViz ;) No I didn't have one on. You'd be hard pushed to see it behind my screen (or topbox from the rear). I do wear one in poor weather conditions (with reflective panels) and a fully reflective jacket at night.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: A few more videos

Postby Gareth » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:a fully reflective jacket at night.

I'm imagining completely silver!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Spiro.jpg
Spiro.jpg (288.64 KiB) Viewed 2596 times


Picture on the right was taken with my phone camera's flash.
I call it my Casper jacket (if you are old enough you'll understand) :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 am

If you are stuck indoors, here's your chance to watch a session from an Observer/Tutor's perspective. Fire up the laptop or cast it to a big screen. Keep safe everyone in these difficult times.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:If you are stuck indoors, here's your chance to watch a session from an Observer/Tutor's perspective. Fire up the laptop or cast it to a big screen. Keep safe everyone in these difficult times.

Some interesting comments on the RoADAR side - good to see in these troubled times that indicating is still catnip to them!

At about 9:12 he indicated right for two flashes? Was that to let you know where he was going? He then put a right signal on at about 9:20 anyway?

Not sure why you felt the need to say you'd left your indicator on!

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:30 pm

crr003 wrote:Some interesting comments on the RoADAR side - good to see in these troubled times that indicating is still catnip to them!

That's been fun hasn't it? Also some very "Observing by numbers" comments. :)

crr003 wrote:At about 9:12 he indicated right for two flashes? Was that to let you know where he was going? He then put a right signal on at about 9:20 anyway?

I guess he didn't push the button over far enough to latch. On a bike it is a toggle switch operated by your left thumb in a thick glove. He may have the electronic auto cancel switched on. It is way too sensitive for my liking and I've dug down in the menus and turn it off.

crr003 wrote:Not sure why you felt the need to say you'd left your indicator on!

If you watch carfully, you'll see the rider takes great delight in giving me the open/closed thumb/fingers sign with his left hand. It was easily seen live but not on the video. I could have got away with it Pike :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:16 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Some interesting comments on the RoADAR side - good to see in these troubled times that indicating is still catnip to them!

That's been fun hasn't it? Also some very "Observing by numbers" comments. :)

I like the idea of telling them all the faults at once! Hardcore RoADAR.

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Not sure why you felt the need to say you'd left your indicator on!

If you watch carfully, you'll see the rider takes great delight in giving me the open/closed thumb/fingers sign with his left hand. It was easily seen live but not on the video. I could have got away with it Pike :)

That was hard to see!
I'd have said I left it on to check if he was using his mirrors.............

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:39 pm

I've been editing while stuck at home. Much sorter video this time. A couple of clips looking at the often contentious topic of using all the tarmac on C class roads with no centre line. Let's see if this generates some discussion.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube


Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest