A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:17 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote: NB. This video includes an experiment of showing my speedo and instruments, for gear etc., following previous requests in the comments of other videos. The results are a little disappointing as the position of the camera doesn't show the actual needle view that the rider of the motorcycle gets. It also shows that either the camera mount or the instruments are not perfectly in line with the headstock.

Use picture in picture - albeit two cameras needed and loads more editing time!

Have you watched it? :roll:

Nope. 19 minutes is a long time to re-learn twisting the righthand bar end :) I took the view from reading your post that you had a single camera attempting to show both. If you're telling me that you deliberately aimed a camera to not record the clocks properly and then spent time editing and posting it, have your :roll: right back :lol:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Ha ha :)

You'd have seen it sort of worked in the first couple of minutes.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Position vs Safety

YouTube link

Video removed as now part of Demo Ride video below.
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 pm

YouTube description ... This demo ride was filmed by a colleague as part of our preparation to take the IAM Roadsmart Masters test. I've uploaded the full version, warts and all, so any of my future IAM Associates can watch it. A real IAM test would include some dual carriageway as well. I didn't know the route beforehand and my direction was controlled by the following bike's indicators. Disappointingly, the bright sun and white helmet do mask my head movement a little but when the camera bike is closer you can see me checking mirrors, clearing blind spots etc. when required. The comments were recorded live and I couldn't hear them as I was riding.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
YouTube description ... This demo ride was filmed by a colleague as part of our preparation to take the IAM Roadsmart Masters test. I've uploaded the full version, warts and all, so any of my future IAM Associates can watch it. A real IAM test would include some dual carriageway as well. I didn't know the route beforehand and my direction was controlled by the following bike's indicators. Disappointingly, the bright sun and white helmet do mask my head movement a little but when the camera bike is closer you can see me checking mirrors, clearing blind spots etc. when required. The comments were recorded live and I couldn't hear them as I was riding.

What was the kerfuffle with signalling at 19:20?
What happened at 28:36 - bit of an edit?

I can understand your chum took different lines to capture the moving images, but some of his positioning with oncoming looked a tad......bold?

Apart from that, looks easy! :mrgreen:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:46 pm

crr003 wrote:What was the kerfuffle with signalling at 19:20?

The age old, should I, shouldn't I signal? He didn't see oncoming car from his position. I saw it as further forward, but debatable if my signal really was of any use to him.
crr003 wrote:What happened at 28:36 - bit of an edit?

Join in video files. My same make/model of camera gives seamless transitions when it changes recording file. His leaves out a couple of seconds. Maybe different firmware. Nothing under hand removed. It was warts and all straight from the camera except me muting one or two personal comments. Didn't mention it the video but a few seconds earlier a left cross view over the burnt field gives an excellent early view of that junction.

crr003 wrote:I can understand your chum took different lines to capture the moving images, but some of his positioning with oncoming looked a tad......bold?

Camera is mounted on right hand mirror stalk. Also a wide angle lenses. Looks a lot worse/bolder than real life.

crr003 wrote:Apart from that, looks easy! :mrgreen:

One day :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm

A new video, this time on the new bike and using a helmet cam.

YouTube Description: This video was produced in response to the challenge set by Neil on his Back2TheBike channel to upload 30 minutes of continuous commentary. His mentor Dale, (channel SeaFlyFisher), had suggested this as a way of maintaining your standard of riding. I've used a helmet cam as I have not come up with a practical way of mounting the camera on my Triumph Explorer yet.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun May 19, 2019 1:41 pm

YouTube Description: This is the return journey that follows on from the previous Helmet Cam Commentary video.

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 pm

As a very ex biker now in tintop world. :roll: Very informative/interesting, recently working on my own commentary for self/associates, no where your level just "spoken thoughts" if that at present. :oops: The thing that came across most was positioning for on-coming I suppose I do do it being wider I have to, but the reasoning, stuff overtaking fine but lorry might have to move out around buildings/junctions? Just as well I have a tin overcoat. :shock: Keep up the good work. :cheers:

martine

Postby martine » Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Very nice video Mike and great riding. I though your "position 2 and half" was interesting.

Have you taken the advanced car test as well...Obs test...Masters?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”