Road works speed limits

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Road works speed limits

Postby jont- » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:10 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53541440
so, they've realised higher speed limits increase flow and reduce frustrations. Time to remove all those bloody stupid 50s scattered all over our A-road network too then?

Triquet
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Triquet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Here in Oxfordshire it is commnon practice for all A-roads to be a 50, with minor roads, particularly those with grass growing down the middle to be at full NSL. Sigh.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:58 pm

jont- wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53541440
so, they've realised higher speed limits increase flow and reduce frustrations. Time to remove all those bloody stupid 50s scattered all over our A-road network too then?


Don't get your hopes up too much. It will only be in circumstances where mitigations such as higher protection barriers can be installed.

Where necessary, you may still encounter 50, 40, or even 30, limits. Also, limits may be dynamic, so 50 when the workforce is on-site and 60 at other times. NB Even overnight and at weekends there may work continuing on major schemes.

The "bloody stupid 50s" are there because, just a few feet away, some poor sod is trying to do his day job.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:48 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Here’s a lovely bit of NSL, off a 40 limit:
https://goo.gl/maps/5Zox1KgzHVLkvYy56

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Triquet wrote:Here in Oxfordshire it is commnon practice for all A-roads to be a 50, with minor roads, particularly those with grass growing down the middle to be at full NSL. Sigh.


I have a theory that councils, whether by design or neglect, are gradually creating the next generation of 'green lanes', BOATs, etc., as the current ones have, in many cases, been closed to motorised traffic.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby jont- » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:39 am

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53541440
so, they've realised higher speed limits increase flow and reduce frustrations. Time to remove all those bloody stupid 50s scattered all over our A-road network too then?


Don't get your hopes up too much. It will only be in circumstances where mitigations such as higher protection barriers can be installed.

Where necessary, you may still encounter 50, 40, or even 30, limits. Also, limits may be dynamic, so 50 when the workforce is on-site and 60 at other times. NB Even overnight and at weekends there may work continuing on major schemes.

The "bloody stupid 50s" are there because, just a few feet away, some poor sod is trying to do his day job.

I'm not on about the roadworks, I'm on about the rest of our roads network where limits are falling unnecessarily by the day. If /some/ roadworks can be increased, that suggests to me all the other places 50s have gone in should be reviewed too, particularly as many won't even have followed the DfT guidelines but instead been imposed by clueless council busybodies who wouldn't recognise an NSL sign if they were slapped around the face with it :bash: :soap: :judge:

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28 am

Ok, fair cop.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Triquet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 am

I believe that many of the 50's are the result of local lobbying. It's an easy process and no thought or rational decisions needed.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 am

Horse wrote: It will only be in circumstances where mitigations such as higher protection barriers can be installed.




In case anyone is interested... This is the sort of innovation that has supported the potential increase.

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Road works speed limits

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:40 pm

On the A14 at Ipswich there is a long stretch of roadworks with a 40 limit. The work is only carried out at night and then the cones moved so both lanes are open during the day. The signs are left in place! Riding my motorcycle at 40 is a terrifying experience and I now avoid the area. No-one is observing the limit and cars/lorries approach you from behind at the NSL with last minute lane changes. It is not policed at all. Madness.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests