Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 pm

Horse wrote:You'll have to educate me - I've not heard the term priority point.

Has it another name? Is that a Roberts' term? I've always called it that (I think).

It's not a pinch point as that is something else (that cyclists like to moan about).

I even looked in Traffic Signs Manual - Chapter 3 - Regulatory Signs
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Ah - with the 'be the observer' tag I thought it was about prioritising feedback!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:43 am

crr003 wrote:Mike didn't stop at the line but moved forward to a wider bit of road.

Hang on - this is getting more interesting!
The first round sign is not legal. The solid white line is a bit random. I'm still reading..........
It appears a Give Way line is optional and wouldn't really fit there even if the sign was legal. Definitely wouldn't fit at the second sign. Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 section 4.8

I think you did it well. Stopped in a place that allowed the oncoming to turn right if they wanted. Funny the bloke on YT thinks you got it wrong!

Firstly the signs etc. The first sign is missing the words plate (see the 2nd one on the wall ahead) and the line really should be a Give Way line not a Stop line. The fact it is a Stop line often causes cars to STOP abruptly when there is nothing coming the other way! :o

As for what I did ... I'd normally stop at the line if something is coming the other way, as that is what is obviously intended. However this time, if you watch in the video, the oncoming van appeared to be parked or waiting to turn right into a parking space (as they often do) and this was reinforced by pedestrians crossing in front of it. Because of that I started to proceed through only for the van to start moving! Time to make the best of a bad job. As I was in a strong central position I moved even further forward to a wider part of the junction and got myself well over to the left. Not the finest/smoothest execution of that hazard, but nobody was held up, or any confrontation made.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:59 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Mike didn't stop at the line but moved forward to a wider bit of road.

Hang on - this is getting more interesting!
The first round sign is not legal. The solid white line is a bit random. I'm still reading..........
It appears a Give Way line is optional and wouldn't really fit there even if the sign was legal. Definitely wouldn't fit at the second sign. Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 section 4.8

I think you did it well. Stopped in a place that allowed the oncoming to turn right if they wanted. Funny the bloke on YT thinks you got it wrong!

Firstly the signs etc. The first sign is missing the words plate (see the 2nd one on the wall ahead) and the line really should be a Give Way line not a Stop line. The fact it is a Stop line often causes cars to STOP abruptly when there is nothing coming the other way! :o

As for what I did ... I'd normally stop at the line if something is coming the other way, as that is what is obviously intended. However this time, if you watch in the video, the oncoming van appeared to be parked or waiting to turn right into a parking space (as they often do) and this was reinforced by pedestrians crossing in front of it. Because of that I started to proceed through only for the van to start moving! Time to make the best of a bad job. As I was in a strong central position I moved even further forward to a wider part of the junction and got myself well over to the left. Not the finest/smoothest execution of that hazard, but nobody was held up, or any confrontation made.

Sign at the other end is incorrect too. If they used the additional plate probably no one could walk under it! Bit of a mare - I can see what they are trying to do but it's a mess. It's not even a proper STOP line by the looks of it.

I'd have styled it out and said I planned to stop there!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:34 pm

crr003 wrote:I'd have styled it out and said I planned to stop there!

With two IAM Masters (Distinctions) and a couple of ROSPA Golds I couldn't bluff. You can imagine how the discussion over coffee went at the cafe (I'd have done the same to one of them ;) :lol: )

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:35 pm

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Was the camera mounted behind the rider?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 pm

jcochrane wrote:Was the camera mounted behind the rider?

Oooo, never been asked that.

No, it was just above my left front turn signal.

Click image for better quality wider photo

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:59 pm

Where I live (Catalan Pyrenees) we get hundreds of motoristas, on a daily basis.
They are by and large, responsible and well mannered, and (knock knock UK bikers) almost invariably thank you for allowing them to overtake (or a right signal, shows you are aware of them).
Regular journeys on the Bossost - Bagners de Luchon or Viehla - Lleida route show this time and time again. I have even seen a pedal cyclist doing multiple overtakes on downhill stretches, nobody minds.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:48 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Was the camera mounted behind the rider?

Oooo, never been asked that.

No, it was just above my left front turn signal.

Click image for better quality wider photo

Ah. With it positioned there probably explains why overtakes were done before all nearside information in front of the overtaken cars was visible. The rider would have got that information before the camera picked it up.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”