Roundabout peep & creep?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Roundabout peep & creep?

Postby Gareth » Mon May 23, 2022 7:29 am

When I think about, I've always thought that having decided to enter a roundabout it's generally best to be brisk about, to just get on with it. Over the weekend I found myself in an uncomfortable situation at a roundabout I've joined many times in the past; there was almost no view to the right, and a couple of cars came onto the roundabout fairly quickly. This is near Farnborough - the vegetation has grown up so much that cross-view is completely blocked. What makes it worse is that the ahead view for drivers coming from the right is so good that they won't be slowing down on approach. I've concluded the only safe approach is to peep & creep onto the roundabout, until I'm able to see enough to the right to know that it's safe to continue. The thought of it feels quite uncomfortable, though.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Re: Roundabout peep & creep?

Postby Gareth » Mon May 23, 2022 8:29 am

FYI this is on the border between Hampshire and Surrey. Both their online reporting tools say the other is responsible ...

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon May 23, 2022 9:58 am

Around here Cow Parsley is the preferred roadside plant. In past years the council (Surrey) would cut it back, usually before an accident. Heaven knows what will happen this year. :roll: Peep and creep or go like stink, choice is yours :D

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 23, 2022 2:53 pm

I agree with you,Gareth, it is probably the best option. I'm also finding that the lack of proper signals and poor positioning also makes creeping out the more safe way of entering the roundabout these days.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 23, 2022 3:50 pm

Peep and creep is good, but can't you hold back on the slip assessing what is coming in from the right (before the foliage blocks the view). Also if there's no other vehicles about I may use more of the left lane to improve my view. It's not good when the undergrowth is not maintained. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 23, 2022 6:42 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:can't you hold back on the slip assessing what is coming in from the right (before the foliage blocks the view)

As I went up the off-slip I could see a couple of cars on the bridge so the firm plan was to stop at the give way line. I didn't realise my view right would be so limited before I reached the line, would have felt even more awkward to reverse for the cross-view! The off-slip wasn't busy that time, although sometimes it is. A good point about taking a wider line for entering the roundabout, which might have helped if I'd known in advance that it might be helpful!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 23, 2022 6:59 pm

Ahh, I thought this was a regular junction for you.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”