The near future

The first test you do - organised by the government.
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: The near future

Postby jcochrane » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:Sorry, John. Still confused. I must be missing something here. I thought that DCT/DSG/PDK cars were only two pedal? At least I only remember there being two in the all of the variants that I have driven.

Since "heel 'n' toe" is, by definition, a one foot operation on both the brake pedal and throttle I am struggling to see why would you be using two feet on the brake pedal?

I understand the use of two feet when left-foot braking in a two pedal car, or even in a three pedal car (Hi, Walter), but I do not understand your description. Have I really missed something blindingly obvious? (it wouldn't be first time).

DCT and LFB? or 3 pedals and H&T? or something else?

Heel “n” toe in a manual then moving to left foot braking…… I place my right foot to cover both throttle and brake. This means only covering half of the brake pedal.(This makes it possible to place the left foot on the brake, two feet on one pedal, after the left foot has completed the clutch operation.) The right foot can then be moved to the throttle as the left is now doing the braking. The right foot can then cover the throttle ready to apply the throttle as/when required.
So initially it’s heel ‘n’toe then transitioning seamlessly into left foot braking. So you end up with the same situation as left foot braking in an automatic with the benefits of that technique.

Hope that makes more sense. It is only possible to achieve if the right foot only covers half the brake pedal during the heel ‘n’ toe phase as room is needed to place the left foot alongside the right on the brake pedal as you hand off the braking from the right foot to the left foot. Easier to do than trying to explain. :D

Yes, I understand what you are doing in a 3 pedal car with a manual gearbox. My confusion, which I appear to be not making clear, is how you are doing that in a DCT car with only 2 pedals? Do you have a DCT car with 3 pedals?

Quote.. The only one thing I MISS about driving a DCT is the satisfaction of left foot braking whilst using heel "n" toe, with sustained revs.

That was my point I could left foot brake and heel ‘n’ toe in a manual but now I have a DCT i can’t do that. Only left foot braking. Heel “n” toe unnecessary as the gearbox engine matches automatically and would no doubt draw complaints from the gearbox if I tried. :shock:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:15 pm

That was my point too. As written, what you actually said was that you miss being able to left foot brake while using H&T in a DCT. That may not have been what you meant to say but that is actually what you said. Hence the confusion and why I asked, "How is that even possible?"

Now that I understand what you meant to say, perhaps it would have been better phrased as, "The only one thing that I miss now that I drive a DCT is not being able to ... etc."

Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:21 am

crr003 wrote:
sussex2 wrote:
crr003 wrote:
sussex2 wrote:...What of the driving test and learning to drive, how will this have to change with a high percentage of people learning on auto trans vehicles. It is quite possible that within 15 years the vast majority of cars will be this way.
Does anyone know of any proposed changes or how far this inevitable move has been researched or of any plans ahead?

What needs to change?
Currently people take auto tests. You don't need to specifically request one - you just turn up with two pedals instead of three. The legal test requirements remain the same.

Fair point but there the other technical issues as well - hill hold/auto parking/electronic handbrakes/ auto lights etc etc - something somewhere will have to be adapted, to change.

They try and keep up (DVSA). But they are a government organisation!
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-fo ... daptations

So the three you mention would be yes/no/yes for use. Lights would be an interesting one - if you don't use lights/wipers as required you run the risk of getting a fault/fail for safety issues.

Citroen XM emergency brake is mentioned! I wonder when was the last time anyone saw one of these cars? If someone was brave enough to take one on a standard test 1/ Good for them 2/ Should be up to speed with the various eccentricities :)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:17 pm

1936. Three forward gears.

We didn't need anything else!

https://youtu.be/JOLtS4VUcvQ

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:07 pm

crr003 wrote:1936. Three forward gears.

Currently they keep adding more and more of those gears to DCT 'boxes.

At some point they will realise they are just slowly evolving to what already exists ... a CVT.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:38 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:1936. Three forward gears.

Currently they keep adding more and more of those gears to DCT 'boxes.

At some point they will realise they are just slowly evolving to what already exists ... a CVT.

My car has an EAT8 gearbox and is intuitive to the point of the paddles being almost redundant even though I live in a mountainous area.
I do use the paddles sometimes but rarely and more for a bit of a laugh than anything else.
True I wouldn't want an MX5 to be auto but the EAT for me, is a really good piece of kit.

Return to “Learner Driving”