Importance of surprise horizon

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby jcochrane » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Good example, though not sure there's any difference between 'surprise horizon' and 'limit point' at that time.

It is very deceptive on the video but the limit point is approximately 25yds. beyond the surprise horizon as the limit point had just started to accelerate away but not the surprise horizon just before the car appeared.

hir

Postby hir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:37 pm

jcochrane wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Good example, though not sure there's any difference between 'surprise horizon' and 'limit point' at that time.

It is very deceptive on the video but the limit point is approximately 25yds. beyond the surprise horizon as the limit point had just started to accelerate away but not the surprise horizon just before the car appeared.

Hi John, an exemplary example of excellent driving.

I’m not too sure about the terminology though. Forget about “limit point” and all that; if it happened to me I think I would describe it as a “surprise at the horizon”, probably bracketed with a couple of expletives!

Best wishes, John

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:04 pm

hir wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

Hi John, an exemplary example of excellent driving.

I’m not too sure about the terminology though. Forget about “limit point” and all that; if it happened to me I think I would describe it as a “surprise at the horizon”, probably bracketed with a couple of expletives!

Best wishes, John

Hi John. Great to hear from you.It's been far to long since we drove together.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 am

Where's Horse?
His topic has arrived!

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:04 am

crr003 wrote:Where's Horse?
His topic has arrived!

Bolted :D

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:06 pm

It's definitely west of the meridian, so John's device must be out. Horse'll be along don't worry.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm

crr003 wrote:Where's Horse?
His topic has arrived!

In the stable, blanket and nosebag on, smiling :) ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm

Out to the West of us in the Vale of White Horse, there is a network of minor roads (which of course are at National Speed Limit because the various powers-that-be can't be arsed to post lower limits). On these little roads one can have many and varied Surprise Horizon events inclduing horses, lycra cyclists (particularly on Sunday mornings) and sturdy walkers. One just has to assume that anything can happen. And it does. :gear:

vanman

Postby vanman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:25 am

Triquet wrote:Out to the West of us in the Vale of White Horse, there is a network of minor roads (which of course are at National Speed Limit because the various powers-that-be can't be arsed to post lower limits)

Careful what you wish for. To the uninitiated if it is posted at 40 then it is SAFE to do 40. This somehow is different on a national, they can't possibly do 60 therefore drive accordingly. Probably too fast but you can't win 'em all. :racing:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:44 am

vanman wrote:Careful what you wish for. To the uninitiated if it is posted at 40 then it is SAFE to do 40. This somehow is different on a national, they can't possibly do 60 therefore drive accordingly. Probably too fast but you can't win 'em all. :racing:

Yes, the lobby for 40 on all rural roads keeps gaining momentum.

Sadly many fail to realise that the majority of B roads are classed as rural. For Suffolk that would be most of our road network! :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”