Smart Motoways

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
exportmanuk

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Hope they didn't pay for that.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 pm

The bugs splattered on the windscreen one is getting some flack for being in poor taste given the subject matter. :o

I'll be honest that connection never crossed my mind, more that it looked quite outdated.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine

Postby martine » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:21 pm

I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm

martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 pm

crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

Are [near] learners the problem or drivers who passed their test years ago but wouldn't recognise a highway code if slapped around the face with it?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 pm

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Well that's one view.

Are [near] learners the problem or drivers who passed their test years ago but wouldn't recognise a highway code if slapped around the face with it?

FWIW Even knowing about dynamic hard shoulders, I found it incredibly counterintuitive to cross the solid white line.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:18 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Well that's one view.

FWIW Even knowing about dynamic hard shoulders, I found it incredibly counterintuitive to cross the solid white line.

I'm trying to imagine the fortitude of those old drivers whose countries decided overnight to drive on the other side of the road.
http://realscandinavia.com/this-day-in- ... er-3-1967/
Now that was a change!

I thought even HE had decided to kill off dynamic hard shoulder running? We really need to adopt driving in any lane like the yanks. It's too late to fix lane discipline.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 am

crr003 wrote:We really need to adopt driving in any lane like the yanks. It's too late to fix lane discipline.

Or make the offence to be passed on the left. If someone can get past you, you clearly had plenty of space to move over. Should be easy enough to enforce with cameras/video footage :twisted:

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 am

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:We really need to adopt driving in any lane like the yanks. It's too late to fix lane discipline.

Or make the offence to be passed on the left. If someone can get past you, you clearly had plenty of space to move over. Should be easy enough to enforce with cameras/video footage :twisted:

I strongly disagree with that. I get passed on the left by people who have different views on safe separation from me.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:58 am

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Well that's one view.

Probably everybody just to be sure. Start with a theory check. I've got a licence renewal for photo being old. They could have sent me a 50 question test to be completed along with it. Even if I had to open book it I'd be picking up some good info.
Here's a tweet from NWMPG (police)
https://twitter.com/nwmwaypolice/status ... 87936?s=21
Car doing 50 in lane 3 of 4. Plod lights it up. Car stops in lane 4.

Return to “In The News”