Smart Motoways

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
vanman

Smart Motoways

Postby vanman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:23 pm

FFS :twisted:

Horse

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Is there some sort of delay? Highways England have been calling them that for years!

[Or is the typo actually a direct quote and I've missed something?]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 am

I've had reason to travel the M42 in both directions 2 or 3 times a year over the past 18 months. Even on Saturday or Sunday mornings with little traffic, often the speed boards would be controlling the motorway down to 60 when from my perspective there seemed little need for it.

Perhaps they're only as "smart" as the people controlling them ?

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 am

About as well named as "intelligent" speed adaption :roll:

On the M42 I wonder if the lower limits are to help with air quality? Although in that case it would help if the gantries said so.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... m-51088499

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:50 am

Indeed as "smart" as the people controlling them. Instance recently on M3 outside lane (red cross) most of us taking notice however at least ten/twenty just kept going. Next gantry same outside still being used. Next gantry red cross on inside lane (assume problem had been moved over) now inside lane being used. Next gantry speed reduced as all others to 40 but now red cross gone. No sign of ANY problem once limit lifted, no breakdown, no highway patrol, nothing. We had been tailed back 5 miles from the first gantry, I understand they need to slow traffic down and get us across but 5 miles!
If I remember the highway code says STOP at a red cross and do not proceed. If they continue using this warning that far back it becomes useless, more and more will ignore it. I can understand that it's there to allow emergency traffic through but none passed duing the 20 mins we were in the que. Hopefully those gantries with cameras on them caught the sods in the redcross lanes, wouldn't bet on it though.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 pm

vanman wrote:Instance recently on M3 outside lane (red cross) most of us taking notice however at least ten/twenty just kept going. Next gantry same outside still being used. Next gantry red cross on inside lane (assume problem had been moved over) now inside lane being used. Next gantry speed reduced as all others to 40 but now red cross gone. No sign of ANY problem once limit lifted, no breakdown, no highway patrol, nothing. We had been tailed back 5 miles from the first gantry

Don't fret, was just a psychology experiment conducted by the TRL at Crowthorne. I think it's their nearest section of Smart motorway.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Gareth wrote:
vanman wrote:Instance recently on M3 outside lane (red cross) most of us taking notice however at least ten/twenty just kept going. Next gantry same outside still being used. Next gantry red cross on inside lane (assume problem had been moved over) now inside lane being used. Next gantry speed reduced as all others to 40 but now red cross gone. No sign of ANY problem once limit lifted, no breakdown, no highway patrol, nothing. We had been tailed back 5 miles from the first gantry

Don't fret, was just a psychology experiment conducted by the TRL at Crowthorne. I think it's their nearest section of Smart motorway.

Bracknell did used to be called the 'TRL playground' or similar, but I doubt that this would have been a trial ;)

AFAIK, speed limits (e.g. for congestion) are applied automatically. I saw one going on and off ahead of me on the M5 a few years ago and gradually caught up with the cause - an abnormal load (the trailer had 14 wheels each side, the load was an identical trailer) doing 30mph. Several times I've seen short-lived warnings (triggered by a system called MIDAS) due to one HGV overtaking another, leader to a plug of slower traffic behind them. As soon as the overtake has been completed and the plug clears, the warning disappears too.

However, a mentioned, air quality is a concern and variable speed limits have been suggested to ease this:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clea ... -nfjtbr0s3

Unnecessary low speed limits is being addressed:
https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Hig ... mits/15011
As with any software, it's not going to be perfect for all situations.

Incident speed limits and 'Red X' signals are applied by control room operators. Of course, switching them off relies on the operator too.

As for enforcement of Red X compliance and enforcement:
https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Cam ... s-on/15875

The Government has approved the use of gantry mounted cameras to fine drivers for ignoring red X signs on smart motorways, more than three years after Highways England said it wanted the law changed.

The Government-owned company confirmed that drivers breaking the law will face £100 fines and 3 points on their licence after legislation was passed to introduce automatic penalties for motorists when cameras detect vehicles in closed lanes..

”Local

It said Red Xs are used to signify lanes that motorway lanes are closed to protect drivers in difficulty, or when road workers and emergency services need a safe space to work. However, Highways England has confirmed that they are also used to close lanes to through traffic at junctions to help vehicles join.

A statutory instrument was laid on Monday (13 May) to allow enforcement cameras to be used and will come into effect from 10 June.

The Home Office said this will enable the it to grant type approval of this new system.

Highways England said the new powers will be used in late summer after a period of testing.

Transport Network learned in March 2016 that Highways England was seeking new legislation to enforce red X’s after sending thousands of warning letters to drivers ignoring them.

These letters will continue to be used until enforcement begins, Highways England said.

Mike Wilson, chief highways engineer and executive director for safety, engineering and standards, said: ‘Our motorways are already among the safest in the world but this move will make them even safer.

‘Red X signs over closed lanes help protect drivers from dangers ahead. Most drivers comply with lane closures, but the minority of people who don’t are putting themselves and other road users at real risk. We welcome this auto-enforcement and the increase to driver safety it will bring.'

AA president Edmund King said: ‘Although it has taken far too long, this is a welcome measure to improve safety on motorways.

‘Our research shows that one in 20 drivers continue to drive in red X lanes even when they’ve seen it, and so far Highways England have written warning letters to over 180,000 drivers about their actions.

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 pm

:D :D :D :D I feel much better :soap:

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm on a First Aid refresher course on Thursday, may I quote you for a reference? ;)

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:39 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56198979

Can't we just ditch shit drivers? Getting them off the roads should mean we don't need the extra capacity of smart motorways either. Double win.

Return to “In The News”