Stopping an auto smoothly

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Stopping an auto smoothly

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:20 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:Just a thought for the OP: is it worth wearing shoes with a thinner sole, to give better feel of the brake pedal, while you work on this?

I generally wear barefoot running shoes for driving already, not sure how I find something any thinner unless I go fully barefoot :lol:

Fairynuff :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Horse wrote:Just a thought for the OP: is it worth wearing shoes with a thinner sole, to give better feel of the brake pedal, while you work on this?

I know many find a thinner sole helps. Personally I find it makes no difference. I can wear wellingtons or walking boots and find it has no effect on my driving, provided the heel remains on the floor if operating brake or throttle. Then again some might say there is no difference because I’m pretty crap at smoothness anyway.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm

John C your driving is a model of smoothness!

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:22 pm

I have sometimes driven in walking boots and, if asked, commented that 'feel' and 'balance' are mostly in the stomach and head. At a training session with an ex-Police coach I mentioned this; he pointed out that officers on duty drive wearing substantial footwear. I think the main point is to be able to articulate the foot sufficiently.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Gareth wrote:I think the main point is to be able to articulate the foot sufficiently.

Having jumped the car few times, to move it out of the way, while wearing motorcycle boots with steel plates in the sole and reinforced ankles, I'd agree. :)
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:18 pm

I'm still wondering what a bare foot running shoe is

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:46 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:I'm still wondering what a bare foot running shoe is

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-barefoot-shoes/
I like Merrell Vapor Gloves (I have wide feet so they fit quite well). Similar to race boots, but they look more "normal" when you're out and about - although they're so thin they're not particularly comfortable for walking any great distance in, especially in gravel car parks.

Even more useful in the caterham which has a very narrow pedal box, so you want something minimal.

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:58 pm

I think there was somthing in "Advanced drivelling" some years back warning about driving with bare feet. If there is a stone or something similar between foot and any pedel it is likely to inhibit the usage. Just saying.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:53 pm

vanman wrote:If there is a stone or something similar

Just goes to show how soft people are these days. I remember a time when people would walk bare-foot outdoors on all sorts of unprepared surfaces ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:32 pm

Gareth wrote:Just goes to show how soft people are these days. I remember a time when people would walk bare-foot outdoors on all sorts of unprepared surfaces ...

Topic decscends to

:lol: :lol:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”