Corner lines - thoughts?

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Corner lines - thoughts?

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:25 pm

A (deliberately) heavily ferkled screen grab from a riding video.

Rider is heading 'up' the image.

Any thoughts on the offside position?
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KMppJBkpwpg/ ... 131912.jpg

Odd, according to my phone's pic editor, it's only 600 or so high. Hmmm Blogspot seems to increase the size!
Last edited by Horse on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Re: Corner lines - thoughts?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:32 pm

We can't see the road surface or very far forward from the image, but question would be:

Why offside?

If it's plod impersonating an Exocet missle there may be some benefit.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 pm

The video follows the rider, then cuts away at this point

But even if there's a hard left immediately after the right, to me it looks as if he doesn't have any view of the offside verge around the corner.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:54 pm

The video would help. If he's been nearside at the bottom of the picture, he may well have had the view offside where you're describing, then be moving back nearside. Difficult to tell without context.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Deliberate, I didn't want to antagonise anyone here who might be involved :)

That drone view is a really short sequence, the rider exits from a left, moving from just left of centre mid-bend (start of clip) towards the left, then crosses to the offside about where 'SLOW' is painted - but my screegrab was just as the view zoomed out, so the text isn't visible.

However, so you can see the context:
https://www.facebook.com/rapidtraining/ ... 099714090/

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Can't see the road surface well enough but, possibly, if it undulates to the n/s (or the edges, in the way of Fen roads) the rider might wish to avoid that.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

angus

Postby angus » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Watching the video, it tries to impart a lot of information - too much perhaps, but the worst bit to me was the suggestion that large oncoming vehicles may give an indication of the severity of a bend - no mention of limit points (or how to measure without a large oncoming vehicle)

WRT to the still image with the context of the video, it seemed like exaggerated positioning for the sake of it

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:38 pm

angus wrote:Watching the video, it tries to impart a lot of information - too much perhaps, but the worst bit to me was the suggestion that large oncoming vehicles may give an indication of the severity of a bend - no mention of limit points (or how to measure without a large oncoming vehicle)

For all of the time, effort and money that must have been put into them, yet they're - IMVHO ;) - a bit rubbish.

Another example is the bit on steering, only making one steering input. Great-ish for the bend they show, but not on a longer bend where an initial steer is needed to lean the bike and track parallel to the edge until the exit is clearly visible where, if you want to go across to the apex then exit, you have to make a second steer. Otherwise, going onto a 'wider radius' line would have you in the hedge or oncoming traffic.

They also rubbish a 'quick' steering input as reducing ground clearance. Rarely an issue for most riders. See above, a longer bend needs that second steer.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:45 pm

angus wrote:Watching the video, it tries to impart a lot of information - too much perhaps, but the worst bit to me was the suggestion that large oncoming vehicles may give an indication of the severity of a bend - no mention of limit points (or how to measure without a large oncoming vehicle)

WRT to the still image with the context of the video, it seemed like exaggerated positioning for the sake of it

And yet at another point they talk about the hedge line /might/ tell you where the road goes, but ignore the 7.5T truck showing quite clearly there is /a/ road there :lol:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Horse wrote:However, so you can see the context:
https://www.facebook.com/rapidtraining/ ... 099714090/

It's difficult to judge the offsiding without on bike footage.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of equalisation and the fact he's going offside where there are SLOW markings.

However it is difficult to judge just from video footage, however professional and glossy it looks. I know from doing my own that sometimes the footage does not convey what I experienced at the time and they do get analysed in detail with the benefit of slowing and freezing (as we are doing here :) ).

I'll be a bit controversial though and say that the majority of offsiding (as opposed to straightening) I see riders do is often flamboyant, 'look at me', actions and within the posted limits of little benefit.

I have another colleague who doesn't even straighten "I ride bikes for the bends/twisties" is his retort.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”