Blimey it's quiet...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: Blimey it's quiet...

Postby jont- » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:36 am

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:if it became law tomorrow just how many new tyres would need to be purchased?

Assuming you mean winter tyres, one set is enough; most, if not all, all season tyres are appropriate for use in jurisdictions where winter tyres are a legal requirement for part of the year.

If you have a 'normal' car, by which I mean not the 'sportier' models in a range, and haven't chosen optional larger wheels, then you should be able to find all season tyres in the correct size. They might not be in as high a speed rating, but they will have high enough speed rating to be legal for use throughout the UK.

Increasingly all seasons are becoming available even in larger sizes, possibly driven by the US market. AIUI the default tyre on the new Corvette C8 is an ultra high performance all season tyre.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/do-the ... any-sense/

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 am

jont- wrote:
Gareth wrote:
jont- wrote:
martine wrote:presumably if the temp is above say 5C they wear more quickly...or not?
They will wear slightly faster in warmer temps, and stopping distances will be longer than summer tyres in warmer weather

I often wonder if the difference in stopping distances between summer and winter tyres used in the summer are so hugely different to that between good quality tyres and the cheapest that discerning customers often choose.

Probably not. There are various videos comparing the two online (tyre reviews and engineering explained that I've seen) so you could probably find the relevant data. If I had my way, ditchfinders would be banned too. If you want to run a car, do it properly, not on a shoestring. It's strange how there's so much legislation around "safety" and driving, but nothing around the single thing that keeps your car in contact with the road and might be one of the biggest factors affecting stopping distance - particularly in adverse weather :soap:

I agree about the ditchfinders.
Bearing in mind a reputable company, owned by Continental is actually called killer, well Matador!
For members interest I am regularly loaned cars and when I collect a new one I always, that day or soon afterwards, check the tyre pressures. I do this because they are almost always hopelessly wrong, generally over inflated by a wide margin.
Car hire companies are particularly fond of doing this so please beware.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 am

I have not gone for winter tyres - the days that I see where temperature is much lower are few - I work from home and rarely go out early in the day... the M5 has been fine through three winters on PS4 tyres - I just drive more sensibly!

I did though make the decision that while it was an un-necessary cost to have two sets of tyres, it made perfect sense to buy a Range Rover as well :) so that is used if there is snow!
Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:12 am

jont- wrote:If I had my way, ditchfinders would be banned too. If you want to run a car, do it properly, not on a shoestring. It's strange how there's so much legislation around "safety" and driving, but nothing around the single thing that keeps your car in contact with the road and might be one of the biggest factors affecting stopping distance - particularly in adverse weather :soap:

You might like to think that buying a tyre called "LuckyLand HappyGalop" could ring at least a couple of alarm bells?

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am

akirk wrote:... I just drive more sensibly!...

I try to always drive 'sensibly' :lol: - just that you may not agree with my 'sensibly'... :oops:

Tell you what, it's blinking cold here (Bristol) today...heavy frost and foggy - still and it's nearly lunchtime.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:19 pm

I have an extra set of wheels for my Yaris and winter tyres. I have seen the benefit a couple of times, once watching a Focus slide wide turning left while I stayed on course, and once where I was on a wet and muddy field being used as a car park. The last time we had significant snowfall I passed up the chance to go out for the fun of it as I clearly have no control how anyone else drives and didn’t want to have someone else slide into my car with all their wheels locked.

The only worry about having winter tyres is that with the limited winters we get now get they don’t get as much use as I would like and consequently they get old before they wear out. Two of mine were manufactured in 2012, two in 2017. Had I used them last winter I might have finished off the old ones then. If they get me through this winter I will change them before next winter, regardless of how much tread remains.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 pm

martine wrote:
akirk wrote:... I just drive more sensibly!...

I try to always drive 'sensibly' :lol: - just that you may not agree with my 'sensibly'... :oops:

Tell you what, it's blinking cold here (Bristol) today...heavy frost and foggy - still and it's nearly lunchtime.

:D

it is indeed cold - I cycled down the Portway this morning (below the fog), but then up to the Downs and back down Parry's lane - through freezing fog, which left glasses and jackets frozen over by the time we got back home

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Jonquirk wrote:I have an extra set of wheels for my Yaris and winter tyres.

Jonquirk wrote:The only worry about having winter tyres is that with the limited winters we get now get they don’t get as much use as I would like and consequently they get old before they wear out.

Have you considered all season tyres instead of the winters? Although not so good it takes away the worry about when to swap wheels? We've ended up using all seasons all year around on our Alfa 75 and Skodas.

Jonquirk wrote:The last time we had significant snowfall I passed up the chance to go out for the fun of it as I clearly have no control how anyone else drives and didn’t want to have someone else slide into my car with all their wheels locked.

If you go out with the dawn you'll mostly have the roads to yourself, and then you can be back home before the cars with slower tyres appear. On the other hand you can use them to practice overtaking ;-)

Anyone else take the longer way to the supermarket yesterday?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:47 pm

Gareth wrote:
Anyone else take the longer way to the supermarket yesterday?

As if I would....but because of my age I loose my way or take a wrong turning! I'm due to have my eyes tested tomorrow so almost certainly will miss my turning on the way home. :D

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:11 am

John "Magoo" Cochrane has quite a ring to it. :D :car:

Return to “General Chat”