Declining Standards

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
janetwise-griggs

Re: Declining Standards

Postby janetwise-griggs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Talking of BMWs I was sitting it in mine one day trying to reset the clock but not while I was driving, and I found a display which fills the touch screen with 2 analogue dials showing horsepower and torque, it was quite fun I thought but I imagine it could be very distracting. So I never use it.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Apple CarPlay is an excellent system and I find that it works really well ...

... when you have a good data connection.

And therein lies the rub. Since pretty much all of it relies on that data connection it becomes exceptionally frustrating as soon as you get out of solid, reliable data coverage. Yes, I agree that the factory fitted satnav and the prices of updates may well "have had their day" but the dedicated nav unit will always have a place because you always have the complete map, regardless of data availability.

Excellent idea. Coming along nicely. Needs ubiquitous data.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Apple CarPlay is an excellent system and I find that it works really well ...

... when you have a good data connection.

And therein lies the rub. Since pretty much all of it relies on that data connection it becomes exceptionally frustrating as soon as you get out of solid, reliable data coverage. Yes, I agree that the factory fitted satnav and the prices of updates may well "have had their day" but the dedicated nav unit will always have a place because you always have the complete map, regardless of data availability.

Excellent idea. Coming along nicely. Needs ubiquitous data.

The biggest benefit to me of a standalone satnav is the ability to program multiple complex routes in advance then select them at the point they are needed. I've not found a way to do that with android.

RiK

Postby RiK » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Horse wrote:is it so far off from your car satnav actually being Google Maps, with live traffic info etc?

Mine already is. I have the Apple Carplay stuff in my car, so it'll use whatever navigation app I choose, including Apple Maps or Google Maps. Both of which are far better than the built-in solution.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:12 pm

jont- wrote:The biggest benefit to me of a standalone satnav is the ability to program multiple complex routes in advance then select them at the point they are needed. I've not found a way to do that with android.

TomTom on Android allows the storing of routes. At the moment TomTom Android doesn’t work on the infotainment car system. This is to be trialled with volunteers this Autumn. Hopefully it will allow the running of stored routes when it does.

Tomtom on iPhone cannot store routes but can be run through CarPlay. :roll:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 pm

On the bike I use a Garmin Zumo 345 standalone SatNav. I can program routes at home on the PC with a BIG screen/map and follow them needing no data signal that the majority of Apps use. Lots of riders do use their phones in holders and rely on various Apps (like MyRouteApp), and many have killed their phones due to water/vibration. I've used Garmin for years and can't see me changing anytime soon.

Apple CarPlay / Andriod Auto is coming to some bikes for use on the gaudy TFT screens all the manufacturers think we want instead of proper displays. In a few years time many bikes are going to be written off because the hideously expensive screen (that should have remained in a laptop) no longer functions.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:33 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:In a few years time many bikes are going to be written off because the hideously expensive screen (that should have remained in a laptop) no longer functions.

Same maybe true of cars too. If it's only the IVI then it's probably less of an issue, but if it means you can't get to HVAC controls (because they're on the broken touchscreen) presumably that's an automatic MOT fail?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am

Strangely Brown wrote:the dedicated nav unit will always have a place because you always have the complete map, regardless of data availability.

I've been using OsmAnd on Android for precisely this reason. Seems to work reasonably well for ad hoc routing requirements.

jont- wrote:The biggest benefit to me of a standalone satnav is the ability to program multiple complex routes in advance then select them at the point they are needed. I've not found a way to do that with android.

I think OsmAnd can load and follow gpx files but, although I planned to experiment, haven't because I'd rather use an atlas most of the time. Have just checked the website and this is a section describing this.

On a recent weekend away, I was using OsmAnd for navigating while Hanna was driving. We then decided to visit a National Tyres outlet I'd found using Google Maps so, thinking I'd closed OsmAnd, I started the new route. We came to a roundabout outside Brecon and I was confused because the voice prompts said to take the second exit (which would have been to follow the previous route), while Google Maps showed that we should take the first exit into Brecon. I closed Google Maps when we arrived at the tyre place, and restarted OsmAnd only, it turned out, it'd been running all the while, and been trying to get us to our previous destination!

The reason was that, while routing, closing the application just moves it into the background. To really close it, I should have stopped the routing first.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 am

Hmm, might have to play with OsmAnd then. I wonder how it deals with missed/misplotted via points?

hray

Postby hray » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:08 pm

I spent quite some time playing around with this, and have a (relatively) workable solution. I've only tested this via Google Maps on iOS using CarPlay, but I imagine very similar results with other platforms.

I plan and plot my multi-stop routes on my PC, via maps.google.com . Once I've finished with my route, I click 'Send directions to your phone' and then select the 'Email to <email address>" option. This then emails me a convenient short link to the route ( eg. https://goo.gl/maps/c2z13sZHWs5FFmBT8 ). I then copy and paste this link into a Google Drive sheet where I have the routes named and a little description. I simply open the Google Drive app on my phone, click the link in the sheet, Google Maps opens with the multi-point route ready and waiting. Just click go and it's all set!
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

Return to “General Chat”