80mph on the motorway as bad as drink driving

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Ohlins

80mph on the motorway as bad as drink driving

Postby Ohlins » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:12 am

Yes, I know, IAM HQ has occasionally sounded somewhat holier than thou. But has it got significantly worse?

Recently, we had this communication: New study reveals advanced motorcyclists are more safety conscious but still enjoy their riding. Aside from the headline being crap for a press release targeting motorcyclist, potential new members could infer from the content that IAM riders corner more slowly. It's an inference that matters. While this press release isn't all bad, I reckon it will put off some people from joining the IAM.

But there's far worse.

The Watch your speed! press release and social media argue that doing 80 mph on the motorway is as bad as driving drunk or under the influence of drugs. While the IAM can't condone speeding, this communication will certainly damage recruitment of many potential members. The tone is holier than thou, not real-world. And when trying to recruit new motorcycle members or car enthusiasts, this message will go down like a pork pie at a bar-mitzvah. WTF was IAM HQ thinking?

:help: Is anyone here in contact with IAM HQ, who can give me a glimmer of hope by asking IAM HQ to get real? Encouraging people to drive legally is one thing. But it's another thing altogether for press releases to get increasingly holier than thou, thereby putting off people from joining IAM Roadsmart.

Horse

Re: 80mph on the motorway as bad as drink driving

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Ohlins wrote:: New study reveals advanced motorcyclists are more safety conscious but still enjoy their riding.

Is that effectively saying that 'safety conscious' riders join the IAM? If so, that's drawing into question benefits for others.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Ohlins wrote:... potential new members could infer from the content that IAM riders corner more slowly.

Isn't that true though when there are hazards? ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine

Postby martine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm

I know what you mean Ohlins - I am secretary of the Bristol Advanced Driving group and therefore have regular contact with IAM RoadSmart but why don't you contact them direct?

support@iam.org.uk is one of the general email addresses to use - it will be directed to the right person hopefully for a response.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:51 pm

I recall it was not all that long ago government suggested the limit could be increased to 80 but that seems to have disappeared from the agenda no doubt at the insistence of the green and 20 plenty lobbyists. Personally in good safe driving/riding conditions it takes more conscious effort to concentrate at 50 than it does at 80 or more. Driving up a motorway for hours at 50 is mind numbingly boring, the only effort is playing slow then dash past LGVs. many have told the IAM that if they want to encourage membership they need to stop insisting the number on a stick makes it safe and instead encouraging better education and responsible use of speed. Speeding does not kill millions of miles are driven in the UK in excess of the posted speed limits every day without incident. Inappropriate speed is the issue, and the more organisations promote the speed limit as a safe speed the more people will believe it to be true and the less likely we are to reduce the KSIs
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:06 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Isn't that true though when there are hazards?

I prefer the term "appropriate speed". This nuance matters if we want to bring more riders into the fold; we need communications that engage non-members effectively. Otherwise, the IAM will become like BRAKE: a lobbying organisation (resulting in fewer people learning advanced skills to enhance their safety).

And it's crazy to argue that doing 80 mph on the motorway is like drink-driving or being behind the wheel under the influence of drugs. It damages the IAM's credibility, which damages recruitment.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Hope none of the IAM management ever drive on the continent.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:15 pm

OP, forget it, long ago I was suggesting that the IAM was becoming only interested in its survival and the jobs at HQ. This, of course, means following the dominant politics of the day.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:57 pm

jont- wrote:Hope none of the IAM management ever drive on the continent.

On the WRONG side of the road :o to boot. :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Ohlins wrote:... potential new members could infer from the content that IAM riders corner more slowly.

Isn't that true though when there are hazards? ;)

There was a follow-up study of Bikesafe Scotland trainees.

Self-reporting, riders said that, after the session, they felt safer and rode faster on rural roads.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”