DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Gareth wrote:The current situation seems fairly clear; we should avoid sharing a private vehicle with anyone outside of our household or support bubble as we will not be able to keep to strict social distancing guidelines, and from July 4th that doesn't change to any significant degree.

Indeed. The calendar date is irrelevant; the virus isn't going away any time soon, people who are vulnerable now will still be then.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote:The current situation seems fairly clear; we should avoid sharing a private vehicle with anyone outside of our household or support bubble as we will not be able to keep to strict social distancing guidelines, and from July 4th that doesn't change to any significant degree.

Indeed. The calendar date is irrelevant; the virus isn't going away any time soon, people who are vulnerable now will still be then.

RoADAR said on Friday:

Restart of car tutoring and testing in England

After the Government’s announcement about the restart of driving tests, we’re delighted to say that advanced driver tutoring and testing can also restart from Saturday, July 4.

Please note, in line with the guidance from each nation’s government, this is in England only at this stage.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:58 pm

So RoADAR have given the go ahead...the IAM are going to issue guidance next week...I wonder what they'll suggest?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 pm

martine wrote:So RoADAR have given the go ahead...the IAM are going to issue guidance next week...I wonder what they'll suggest?

IAMRoadSmart appear more tentative:
IAM RoadSmart is delighted the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has announced that learners can resume driving lessons in England from Saturday 4 July 2020 and driving tests from Wednesday 22 July. This means, in line with government guidelines yet to be issued, we can prepare for a return to car observing and testing.
In next week’s Inform we will be providing further news on how and when we advise the resumption of Advanced Driver training and testing including the provision of Associate, Observer and Examiner guidelines.

Sit in the back; face covering on. Easy.

hray

Postby hray » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Blimey, I didn’t expect RoSPA to jump into things so quickly! Head office can announce that activities have continued, but I’m not sure mentors will be so quick to get driving again.
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Personally I'll wait to hear from the local RoSPA Group to see what their thinking is; it won't include me for the foreseeable future!

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:12 pm

hray wrote:Blimey, I didn’t expect RoSPA to jump into things so quickly! Head office can announce that activities have continued, but I’m not sure mentors will be so quick to get driving again.

I did leave a bit out for dramatic effect - everyone has to be super happy they won't catch anything. The announcement is on the RoADAR Facebook page.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am

crr003 wrote:RoADAR said on Friday:

Is this just for intensive courses given by ADIs?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Gareth wrote:
crr003 wrote:RoADAR said on Friday:

Is this just for intensive courses given by ADIs?

On the FB announcement the words candidate, tutor, examiner and group are used, no mention of ADI. Also, this paragraph:
"Ultimately, it is down to each group and individual to decide whether they should start again from July 4 onwards, and we strongly recommend that each group consults with members before deciding whether or not to restart. "

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 am

I think you've summed this up precisely, Gareth. How can RoADA or IAM even be considering in car training yet.

Return to “In The News”