DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
hray

DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Postby hray » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm

The DVSA have just announced that lessons and tests will be able to resume from the 4th and 22nd of July, respectively.

Do we think that the IAM/RoSPA will follow suit shortly after? How many of you would be prepared to start AD training from this date?

As much as I’d love to get back to regular group activities as soon as safe to do so, I’m not sure the general consensus would be that we’re ready yet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... in-england
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

waremark

Re: DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Postby waremark » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 pm

In general terms, government have relaxed constraints earlier where there is a benefit to the economy. In this case, there is a stronger argument for allowing two people in a car where it allows a driving instructor to resume earning a living than for our activities. Personally, I would not choose to restart observing under the guidelines issued for driving instructors (windows open among other aspects).

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 am

I agree with you both. We don't need to take the risk. As Mark points out we are volunteers not in this for making a living.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:43 am

Would Obs & Associates want to do this:

AA Driving School, which also runs the British School of Motoring, said it was advising instructors that they should "thoroughly" clean vehicles before and after each lesson, "paying particular attention to areas of the car that are touch points, such as door handles." Other measures for instructors include:
- Wearing clothes that cover arms and legs
- Wearing face coverings and disposable gloves (to be changed after each lesson)
- Keeping windows down throughout the lesson
Pupils will also be asked to wash their hands before each lesson and wear a face covering.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:51 am

The Associate is in their own car.

The Observer just needs their Hazmat suit. ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:54 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:The Associate is in their own car.

The Observer just needs their Hazmat suit. ;)

Sounds like bike observers would be ideal. Full suit of gear, just get hosed down at the end of the session :)

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 am

A member of our local IAM Group undertakes driver assessments for full licence holders for the DVSA. The company he is sub-contracted through issued guidelines a couple of weeks ago (which presumably emanated from the DVSA?) for doing assessments in clients vehicles for when their assessments restart and he mentioned to me that this is what he had been advised is required as far as PPE is concerned:

• Hand sanitiser. Clean your hands as frequently as you can
• Antibacterial wipes or spray
• Supply of disposable gloves. Use a new pair at the start of each Assessment and dispose of the old ones safely and responsibly
• Face covering
• Supply of disposable pens
• Supply of disposable car seat covers
• Supply of polythene rubbish bags

You should also wear clothing that is warm, appropriate and covers as much of you as possible. The windows of the car will be open during the Assessment.
Unquote

It will be interesting to see what the IAM and RoSPA come up with in terms of recommendations or directives for car observing. Personally, I feel it is unlikely I will be back to observing any time soon, and probably unlikely before next spring at the earliest.

martine

Postby martine » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 am

Yes and I do the police's 'Safe and Considerate Driving' course for the public involved in a crash where it's their fault. I have a course booked on 23rd July - it's be interesting to see what recommendations they come up with. I also do Royal Mail van driver training - the last one I did was in March and then 2 days later: lockdown. I'm not sure what they've been doing since and I have no start date.

Would I be prepared to do any Observing for the IAM? I'm not sure to be honest but certainly doing something voluntarily rather than professionally puts a different spin on it.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:06 pm

The current situation seems fairly clear; we should avoid sharing a private vehicle with anyone outside of our household or support bubble as we will not be able to keep to strict social distancing guidelines, and from July 4th that doesn't change to any significant degree.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm

M1ke H wrote: also wear clothing that is warm.

Which part of Greenland is it that DVSA cover? ;)

Return to “In The News”