On Shadows

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

On Shadows

Postby Triquet » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:09 pm

We are having a lot of sunshine at the moment. It is really rather pleasant to bimble about in the sunshine, but going into the shadows of a belt of trees can be quite disconcerting, particularly if one has Reactolite glasses which don't immediately respond. I have also felt the need to drive around with my lights on, as so many newer cars have running lights.

It's not exactly a problem as such, it's just something that was occurring to me after driving out for Essential Purchases. :biker:

I hope you are all keeping well out there during the (partial) lockdown

Jim

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: On Shadows

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:38 pm

I stopped wearing reactive lenses for the reason you mention and also because even when clear they are not as clear as non reactive lenses. Most noticable when night driving. For period I used to keep clear lensed glasses in the car for driving and reactive lenses for other times.

The best solution I find for issues with the sun is to wear a baseball cap. Excellent for shading the eyes when car sun visors are just not good enough.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:58 am

Indeed. B road from Chieveley to Pangbourne at the weekend, driving wearing sunnies. Entered a wood, with a crest. Cyclist in dark clothing at the top of the crest, not far in.

Late pickup by me, firmer braking than I would normally like, and it would have been a little more interesting had there been opposite direction traffic.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 am

Getting sunglasses off quickly is impossible on a motorcycle. :o

Once you've had an internal fighter pilot sun visor you never go back. Granted you'd look a bit silly in a car :) Though, would be ok in an Atom etc.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm

jcochrane wrote:I stopped wearing reactive lenses for the reason you mention and also because even when clear they are not as clear as non reactive lenses. Most noticable when night driving. For period I used to keep clear lensed glasses in the car for driving and reactive lenses for other times.

The best solution I find for issues with the sun is to wear a baseball cap. Excellent for shading the eyes when car sun visors are just not good enough.

I trust, John, that you wear it the right way round, and not like Young Persons that tend to have it back to front :mrgreen:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Triquet wrote:
jcochrane wrote:The best solution I find for issues with the sun is to wear a baseball cap. Excellent for shading the eyes when car sun visors are just not good enough.

I trust, John, that you wear it the right way round, and not like Young Persons that tend to have it back to front :mrgreen:

AKA an 'IQ reducer'
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:42 pm

Triquet wrote:
jcochrane wrote:I stopped wearing reactive lenses for the reason you mention and also because even when clear they are not as clear as non reactive lenses. Most noticable when night driving. For period I used to keep clear lensed glasses in the car for driving and reactive lenses for other times.

Depends if I'm driving forward or reversing. :roll:

Return to “General Chat”