Post Covid Travel

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: Post Covid Travel

Postby sussex2 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:15 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Back to basics perhaps? Though I am not suggesting a return to IZAL medicated :o

IZAL Medicated I remember that from School. :o Horrible stuff.

I am seeing an increasing number of people wearing face masks when out and about, but I wonder if wearing it makes the user invincible? Many people behave as if this is is true with other PPE

You may be correct there as it seems an awful lot of people do not know how to wear them. It will also be increasingly difficult to wear them as the summer (here) comes along - 30 degrees with high humidity won't make for a pleasant experience.
I wear them when near other people but when nobody is around I don't see the point. I may as well wear one on the terrace of my own flat during the 2000 applause when most people are out clapping.

I see people locked inside their own car windows up and (if they have been playing by the rules) nobody else has been in it for 6 weeks. The people are wearing masks.
I wonder if these same people have their seat belt correctly fastened and working. I wonder if they take no notice of the safety announcements on aircraft?
Yet they wear the mask in the pretty much sealed car?
I saw today a beggar outside a supermarket (there are going to be an awful lot of beggars before this thing gets sorted) and the poor man was coughing and spluttering and spitting and looked just plain awful; a few metres away was a person talking on the phone without a mask and downwind of the poor man seemingly obsessed with her conversation. It would not be unusual to see things like this.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 06, 2020 4:21 pm

I'm fairly well convinced that most people with face coverings are more lax about social distancing.

In Tesco it exempts you from distancing and the 'one-way' system.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed May 06, 2020 9:39 pm

Horse wrote:
I'm fairly well convinced that most people with face coverings are more lax about social distancing.

In Tesco it exempts you from distancing and the 'one-way' system.

Nah, they all do it with or without masks :evil: Buy the way Waitrose is the same without the one way system. :twisted:

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 am

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:A lot more working from home will reduce commuting...

I hope so. It's going to be interesting to see how companies react. We've certainly got people that can't wait to be back in the office (enjoy social contact, don't have space at home to work comfortably), but a significant number have said they'd like to work from home more, and some of us would be happy never to see the office again...

I do wonder how many larger companies/institutions will question the wisdom or value of having so much £££ tied up in real estate given that most businesses, financial institutions, charities etc I have spoken to and dealt with over the last six weeks seem to have all been operating without any apparent issues with staff working remotely.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu May 07, 2020 8:49 am

The biggest effect on us has been 'practical' work, visiting sites and necessary personal interactions, where conference calls etc are not feasible.

For me, two big meetings were successfully replaced by calls, but I can't climb in and out of a virtual machine, or see how two physical items compare.

But the big problem for us is, potentially, a re-reun of the 2010 cutbacks, since much of our income can be traced back to the government.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am

Speaking personally, and I am quite sure that it is the same for many of my colleagues, working remotely is perfectly possible, and is absolutely fine... for a while. It is, however, horribly inefficient and, IMO, not sustainable for too much longer.

And that's before we get anywhere near the "work/life" balance question and actually being able to get away from the work environment. All of us have found that we are working far longer just because it's there, and "it will only take a minute".

Post-lockdown might well be different because at least you will have the option to leave it and go do something else. :gear: :racing: :steering: :biker: :car:

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 am

Oddly, I'm doing less of the 'just check for new emails', along with 'leaving' earlier because I start earlier.

Add to that: not spending 1.5 - 2 hours ploughing along motorways, so getting up later and 'arriving home' much sooner, plus I'm just about to sit outside for lunch.

Works for me!
Last edited by Horse on Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu May 07, 2020 11:56 am

I was already working from home at least once a week, but once the lock down is over I will need to get around all our locations making site visits. Normally I would make them every other month. That said I think my mileage will increase as I don't think I'll be staying in hotels as often.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 am

My daughter who is in a sales related field would normally expect an hour's travel for a 1 hour appointment. She now has her appointments by video call with no travel. However, she is going stir crazy from not getting out and about in spite of spending this time with us and her partner and brother at the comfortable family home in the country.

I am sure there will be an increase in remote working long term but not nearly as much as now.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri May 08, 2020 6:44 am

waremark wrote:she is going stir crazy from not getting out

Get her to do some shopping.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”