Empty roads

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Empty roads

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:27 pm

Actually I meant veering across the lane, not driving ;)

My "you'd never get away with it now" admission is that a small group of us used to manufacture explosives. Pipe bombs, flares, we made a small cannon and took that to school . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:41 pm

sussex2 wrote:Years driving a bright yellow MX5..taught me to understand that people do not look..they do not look to see the actual road surface clear.

In 1989 or thereabouts I bought a BMW K100RT. Previous owner had repainted it white. This was at a time when the police still had white bikes, although mine didn't have any h-viz markings and I didn't dress like a trafpol.

But it was amusing the number of drivers who pulled out in front, then had the the little voice at the back of their brain say "Err hello. Do you realise what you've done?" From a reasonable following distance I could almost see the muscles in the back of their neck clinching :)

They'd looked, seen, then just didn't care.

vanman

Postby vanman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 pm

Just to add a little footnote to the original. Drove to the shops yesterday, found that my normal concentration felt inadequate somehow (nothing new there). Usually our conversation stops when the traffic situation changes, however I felt uneasy so conversation was stopped. I just felt that that little bit of extra attention was required on far less congested roads. Yes and two did pull out without a second glance.

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 am

PPS. Taken to driving with dipped beam all the time now as side lights seemed to be ignored. We will see if things improve. :o Unlikely though as when on the bike (1968 - 1981) headlight on or not seemed to make little difference. :evil:

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Driving older cars without day running lights can make you feel a bit invisible amongst all the vehicles adorned with fancy bright led lights.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:42 pm

Jonquirk wrote:Driving older cars without day running lights can make you feel a bit invisible amongst all the vehicles adorned with fancy bright led lights.

Conversely, lights can act as camouflage too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights

There are no secrets to being conspicuous. One aspect is your contrast against the background - that might be you being dark against a light background:

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Also, how you feel is no reflection of reality.

Worse is being as 'conspicuous' as you think it's possible to be - then being surprised when someone pulls out in front of you. I've had riders - shocked riders! - say " But he must have seen me - I had my headlamp on!".

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 am

I know, next step, full beam all the time and airhorns used as soon as they appear at junctions, roundabouts anywhere really. :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm

vanman wrote:I know, next step, full beam all the time and airhorns used as soon as they appear at junctions, roundabouts anywhere really. :D

You do know about the kind of equipment fitted to emergency vehicles, and how often people pull out in front of them, don't you? ;)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm

You can never assume you have been seen and all you can do is your best to 'present' your vehicle.

Return to “General Chat”