Empty roads

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
vanman

Re: Empty roads

Postby vanman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 am

Probably a blind spot, try looking around the A pillar, OH sorry bike erm... :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:36 pm

vanman wrote:Probably a blind spot, try looking around the A pillar, OH sorry bike erm... :D

BMW C1? :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 pm

jcochrane wrote:Lateral movement on the approach to junctions is a very old trick when on two wheels to get spotted and works quite well.

Any idea when and where you first heard of it?

The first 'in print' I know of was in the [now defunct] Motorcycle and Workshop magazine, Nov '88, written by Ed Reid.

More recently, the action has become more well-known after dragonfly hunting was researched!

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Parental guidance advised:

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Looming, hmmm...
I remember learning to drive a car. Once I found a school with an instructor who actually knew the HC (it took a few schools :roll: ), I went out on my first full lesson. Round the side streets then "OK, let's see you take it out on the main road". After a few minutes (this was a very urban environment) "You're a motorcyclist aren't you?"; me "Yes, how do you know?"; "Every side-turning you shoulder-check and move out across the lane and check what is approaching"; me "Oh sorry, am I not meant to do that in a car?"; "No it's fine but unusual in a new driver".

Goodness that was a long time ago! :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:58 pm

My ex- had been riding bikes for a few years before taking car lessons. Lesson #1, off down rural. Instructor had kittens as she started using cornering lines :)

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:03 am

Horse wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Lateral movement on the approach to junctions is a very old trick when on two wheels to get spotted and works quite well.

The first 'in print' I know of was in the [now defunct] Motorcycle and Workshop magazine, Nov '88, written by Ed Reid.

More recently, the action has become more well-known after dragonfly hunting was researched!

Something that I've always known since I was 5 years old. It was obvious to us as kids. We just knew it made sense and that it was obvious to move laterally to attract attention. We did not need to read it in a book. I don't think there were any books about driving or riding back then anyway, if there were I never came across them. As kids we worked these things out for ourselves, Just as I worked out heel "n" toe out of necessity when driving old bangers at the age of 7, never knew that's what it was called until years later.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 am

jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:

The first 'in print' I know of was in the [now defunct] Motorcycle and Workshop magazine, Nov '88, written by Ed Reid. More recently, the action has become more well-known after dragonfly hunting was researched!

Something that I've always known since I was 5 years old. It was obvious to us as kids. We just knew it made sense and that it was obvious to move laterally to attract attention.

You might be surprised how many growned-ups object to it now!

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:05 am

Years driving a bright yellow MX5..taught me to understand that people do not look..they do not look to see the actual road surface clear.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Horse wrote:
You might be surprised how many growned-ups object to it now!

Parents never knew what we got up to on bikes and there was far less traffic around back then.
Same applies to driving cars, my parents never knew, the old bangers were courtesy of local farmers. Happy days and where I learnt just about all I know about driving all down to trial and error. (Probably explains why I am such a terrible driver.). I can't see this opportunity for today's youngsters except off road. That's where the Under 17 club is so good.

Return to “General Chat”