'Highest'?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving on anything that is not a car or bike, from lorries to vans, buses to hovercrafts...
Horse

'Highest'?

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:28 pm

From the 'new boss' thread:

"IAM RoadSmart Masters distinction for both cars and motorcycles - the highest-level civilian road driving and riding qualification in the UK."

How has 'highest' been decided? For example, if someone contacted the Advertising Standards Agency and said "My RoSPA Gold / Diamond / whatever" is highest!"

https://www.roadar.org.uk/drivers/the-test.htm
The RoSPA advanced driving test is regarded as the most comprehensive and challenging available to the public. It is monitored and approved by the DVSA.
A RoSPA gold is the highest civilian driving standard available ...

https://advancedmotoring.co.uk/services/diamond-tests/
Diamond is widely acknowledged as the most professional of the advanced driver and rider assessments as we are the only Government accredited advanced driver and rider training brand in the UK using only fully qualified and regulated trainers, assessors and examiners to deliver our programmes.
Taking the Diamond elite test is the ultimate challenge, aimed at drivers and professional trainers who want to take their driving to the highest level.

So, who's the highest, and how is it determined?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Re: 'Highest'?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:44 pm

It depends :) ... which camp your foot is in. :lol:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

MrToad

Postby MrToad » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 pm

They're all wrong, but the people they're marketing to don't know better.

Anyone claiming that their driving represents the highest standard there is... hasn't driven wth the right people.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:56 am

Horse wrote:So, who's the highest, and how is it determined?

How would you define what the highest standard of driving is?

Maybe they just need a Carlsberg "probably"? :lol:

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 am

Surely definitions of highest / standard / qualification all needed?

Agree with Mr Toad though - def. higher which is off the public radar...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:58 am

akirk wrote:Surely definitions of highest / standard / qualification all needed?

Agree with Mr Toad though - def. higher which is off the public radar...

Yes, and yes.

[If I have time to be bored next week, should I email them the three quotes and ask, do you think? :) ]

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am

Well it’s the highest they offer. Perhaps they are a bit like the Methodists in their walled garden in heaven, convinced they are the only ones there?

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Jonquirk wrote:Well it’s the highest they offer. Perhaps they are a bit like the Methodists in their walled garden in heaven, convinced they are the only ones there?

'Highest in the UK'? That's fairly definitive!

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:25 pm

There can be a whole debate about what is good driving. However, in the comparison between IAM and Rospa, the same style and aspects of driving are admired and assessed- and there is no doubt that IAM Masters Distinction is the highest level assessed by either of those organisations.

Happily I don't think it is in anyone's interests to challenge the claims. We may consider them to be 'mere marketing puff but whatever encourages folk to improve their driving has to be a good thing.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:37 pm

waremark wrote:Happily I don't think it is in anyone's interests to challenge the claims. We may consider them to be 'mere marketing puff but whatever encourages folk to improve their driving has to be a good thing.

Actually, I think there are two different issues there.

'Puff' maybe, but there are laws about advertising, none of them are exempt.

Encouraging people, fair enough. Although I've probably questioned before whether some aspects remain relevant to modern driving and the majority of drivers*.

* That said, if it was relevant then it ought to be in L training. Plus, these organisations couldn't cope with a large %age of drivers, so probably can't lose by remaining niche.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Other”