Clothoid?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Clothoid?

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:]Yes, my point was that the locals seemed to regularly be caught out by it

You would hope people would learn the roads they drive regularly in order to know the safest speeds and how certain bends may differ from the initial impression they give, ... they're not actually remembering much, just where they turn at a junction they need

You've hit on something there which is common to bikers and 'biking roads' - riders often seem to crash on roads they [think they] know. But is it familiarity breeding contempt, along with an unhealthy dose of optimism, or they're have everything spot on - but have no reserve to cope with something 'extra'?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:40 am

Triquet wrote:But even the simplest of bends catches people unaware.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.63553 ... 6656?hl=en

See that nice little fence on the left hand side? This is a most unusual picture as about once a month somebody will visit the bush at close quarters demolishing the fence in the process.

I see it has the new NSL of 50mph :(

The skid marks seem to suggest it is still catching people out even with the nice chevron boards. The only oddity I can see is it does narrow a little and I wonder if it is due to an oncoming vehicle being over the centre line. Look at the lorry conveniently in the Google Street car's view he is positioned ok by I suspect many are sitting wider ... especially longer artics.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:49 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Triquet wrote:But even the simplest of bends catches people unaware.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.63553 ... 6656?hl=en

See that nice little fence on the left hand side? This is a most unusual picture as about once a month somebody will visit the bush at close quarters demolishing the fence in the process.

I see it has the new NSL of 50mph :(

The skid marks seem to suggest it is still catching people out even with the nice chevron boards. The only oddity I can see is it does narrow a little and I wonder if it is due to an oncoming vehicle being over the centre line. Look at the lorry conveniently in the Google Street car's view he is positioned ok by I suspect many are sitting wider ... especially longer artics.

You may well be right. I've often approached this bend and seen somebody coming over the centre line. I rather expect in now.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:31 am

If you mean the straight line skid marks well back from the corner, I suspect those are caused by unladen truck wheels locking up. There is what may be a set of skid marks in an S shape actually at the junction. If they are skid marks they seem to have been either caused by someone overtaking going away, or running wide and losing control coming towards. I'm not even convinced they're a skid...
Nick

Return to “General Chat”