What does this sign mean?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

What does this sign mean?

Postby martine » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm

So I'm on holiday in Norfolk with Mrs. Verodrive and outside our cottage is the following sign...but what does it actually mean?
DSC_0790.JPG
DSC_0790.JPG (398.48 KiB) Viewed 10878 times
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Re: What does this sign mean?

Postby akirk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:28 pm

don't wait there if you are in a bus?!

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:30 pm

It means exactly what it says.
Assuming you're in a car, you can park all day, 0900-1800, but not overnight.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 pm

So I'm reading that as saying the following for the relevant parking bays I presume are nearby to that sign:
- This restriction is in force all year round.
- Parking (as in getting out of your car and leaving) is only permissible within the hours of 9am - 6pm, and not allowed at any other time.
- Waiting (as in staying inside your car while waiting to pick up someone) is permissible at any time.
- The last point could be understood in two ways, either:
  • these restrictions apply to motor cars, motor cycles, and invalid carriages only, OR,
  • these parking bays can only be used by motor cars, motor cycles, and invalid carriages.

It is an odd sign. Is there a railway station, or large bus station nearby? Or a retail/business park? It looks like these restrictions are implemented to dissuade commuters from turning up before 9am and parking all day for free, but have been implemented so that people are still able to arrive and wait for however long they need in order to pick up someone from work, and to allow residents the ability to have visitors parking on their street during the day (although I don't quite grasp what would have to be done if a visitor was staying overnight!

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:50 pm

I think it is to deter people from using it as somewhere to keep the car overnight on a regular basis. It may date back to the days when you needed parking lights ... ooh that dates me ....

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Triquet wrote:I think it is to deter people from using it as somewhere to keep the car overnight on a regular basis. It may date back to the days when you needed parking lights ... ooh that dates me ....

Sounds like it's bang up to date for Norfolk then :lol:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 am

martine wrote:So I'm on holiday in Norfolk ...

It's Norfolk. It could mean anything! :)

These are in Old Buckenham.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Are there any road markings?

RiK

Postby RiK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Would be interesting to see the liability case if someone had an accident due to trying to read those eh?
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:24 pm

I'm glad there are various opinions on what the sign means! I've parked their overnight for the last 3 days so perhaps I'm breaking the law. Other cars also parked there are doing the same. There is a dotted white line marking out the parking layby.

It's a sleepy village - so I don't suppose anyone's bothered but I wonder if it does mean you can't park outside 09am - 6pm, why not?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “General Chat”