Tyres fitted to front or rear

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Rolyan

Re: Tyres fitted to front or rear

Postby Rolyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Having considered it all, we’re going for the new on the rear. On balance, there are far more for that than against, the reasoning makes sense, and there is lots of depth on the rears still.

Thanks for the input.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 pm

One other advantage, particularly on front wheel drive cars, is that wear on the rear can be quite low and you could end up with quite old tyres on the rear axle if they are not moved to the front to finish their duty more rapidly. It also means that you usually end up buying one pair of tyres at a time, instead of four at once.

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:23 am

Many years ago I attended a talk by a Dunlop tyre accident investigator. He had set up a little ramp with a dinky toys, took a tyre off the front and sent it down the ramp, it went straight. He then replaced the front and took one of the rear tyres off. This time it spun out of control halfway down the ramp.
Another bit of advice was to always fit the newest tyres to the rear, reason being new tyres are less likely to pick up nails etc. (not always in my experience) anyway to explain, the front tyre runs over the nail and puts it up just in time for the rear to run over it. New tyres with more tread tend to flick the nail clear.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:48 pm

vanman wrote:Another bit of advice was to always fit the newest tyres to the rear, reason being new tyres are less likely to pick up nails etc. (not always in my experience) anyway to explain, the front tyre runs over the nail and puts it up just in time for the rear to run over it. New tyres with more tread tend to flick the nail clear.

That assumes you're driving in a straight line.... (my last puncture was at a training day at North Weald, in a rear tyre) :gear: :steering:

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:59 am

Bizarrely, the most difficult bit was explaining to the fitter on the day what I wanted.

I said “can you put the new ones on the rear, and move the rear ones to the front”. It made sense to me, but it took 4 attempts to explain it, over a 10 minute period.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:59 pm

A slow thick fitter then :hit:

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:09 pm

vanman wrote:A slow thick fitter then :hit:

It was a very strange conversation. :D

MrToad

Postby MrToad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 pm

My understanding is that it’s not so much about grip as resistance to aquaplaning.

You always want more tread depth at the rear than the front because you can potentially save the situation if the front aquaplanes (ease off, keep everything straight, pray). If the rear tyres do it while you’re cornering then you’re going to spin.

Even the best drivers can’t control oversteer if the back wheels aren’t touching the road.

Pumafan

Postby Pumafan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 am

:racing: I suggested fitting my replacement front tyres to the rear this week on the strength of this thread, and was advised to "have the best tyres on the front". Could it be an old woman thing? [img][/img]

angus

Postby angus » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:46 am

No, it's a lazy fitter thing. I bet if you went there for new back tyres and asked him to put the new tyres on the front you'd get the "best tyres on the back" excuse

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”