New Members.

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
vanman

Re: New Members.

Postby vanman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 am

:evil: Sounds like a roadsmart 1st without distinction. :twisted:

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Eh?

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Ray Mott wrote:Eh?

Not really :D

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:34 pm

'Site still not really buzzing with contributions from new members.
Tbh, it's why I rarely contribute, knowing it's mainly the oldguard who say anything.
Tends to make me wonder whether AD is now of little consequence in our current world.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:18 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:'Site still not really buzzing with contributions from new members.

17 joined this year, 19 in the last 12 months. The forum probably isn't mentioned much elsewhere, so it's word of mouth or random searches. It's been awkward to arrange driving days, but they've tended to encourage participation. I reckon the hiatus has dampened enthusiasm for discussion.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:41 pm

More than two years and still zero input from new members.
Why? Perhaps some new members might like to say?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:04 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:More than two years and still zero input from new members.

That's unfair, the last post from a new member was less than a year ago.

In some ways what helped previously were the frequent driving days, in which forum members could meet in small groups and practice driving together. There's been a good reason why that's not been happening of late and, I think, many people are still reluctant to meet others they don't already know very well.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:10 am

I think there has also been a seismic shift in how people spend their spare time - Covid made people focus on staying at home / seeing friends and family / etc. Amongst those I know there is more focus on that going forward than individuals pursuing solitary hobbies. Tie that into roads which are becoming less enjoyable to be on and it is not surprising that there are changes. Then you pile in the fact that there is less interest in driving amongst the younger generation / more 'car is evil' propaganda floating around / cost of petrol etc. and there is less reason to go out for a drive...

less driving = less talking about it.

we get regular sign-ups on the forum, but we have a fairly ruthless policy that if it looks spammy it probably is, so the vast majority are deleted.

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:35 pm

Yes Bristol Advanced Motorists committee are discussing how to encourage new Associates to join up. We have our next course starting next month but only have 6 people signed up as yet (which is some sort of record low I believe).

I think post-covid there is still a reluctance to start something new especially if it means meeting strangers - and as previous post, I think driving is possibly less attractive than it was a few years ago - ever lower speed limits, fuel prices, ever more 'driving aids' etc.

Then again I may be wrong and later this year things may pick up again!
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:37 am

/Off Topic/
Congrats Martin on your 1000th post above!
Too much time on your hands, obviously ;)

Return to “Introductions”