Been a naughty boy?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Been a naughty boy?

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 am

Always a dilemma. What to do? No one answer fits all and it will depend on the circumstances of the moment. You're Nissan will not always have the power to out accelerate the car being overtaken as you may already be close to peak acceleration with little or none to spare. (Khaki pants time :o :shock: ). When driving my wife's Nissan I have to take this into consideration. Not such an issue in my GTi where I can plan an overtake to ensure I have more instant acceleration on tap if needed.

With regard to exceeding the speed limit I would say that if it was done purely on grounds of safety or to avoid an accident then there is no option than to do it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 am

How did you structure the overtake?
Sitting out on the right before accelerating for the overtake allows you to do a final check, but also warns the person being overtaken - if they are going to be silly then that is usually when they will do it and you can abort...
Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 am

Ah, the "You will not pass" driver. There are lots about. Yesterday I overtook an Audi stuck behind a caravan. It was a country road so could only pass the Audi. Dropped into the space and after the next right hand bend took the caravan. My two colleagues behind me also went to do the same (individually). Both times the Audi moved right squeezing them up against the right hand verge.

What should you have done? Maybe been a bit brisker in the first place? Out, decide, get it done and back in. I have aborted in the past with this sort of driver but taking a few MPH is always an option. You got to 80. I would have aborted by then.

Now that lorries are legally able to do 50 on B roads they are almost impossible to pass without nicking some MPH. It's made even worse by many now driving on their 56 limiter.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Now that lorries are legally able to do 50 on B roads they are almost impossible to pass without nicking some MPH. It's made even worse by many now driving on their 56 limiter.

Not to mention the queue of lemmings behind them all happy to sit at 50mph but not leaving return gaps... :bash: :soap: (we get lots of fast-track tractors around here doing 40ish where the same seems to apply)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 am

Yes, the queue of sheep behind the target. On a motorbike dealt with one at a time (mainly) but I'll admit the gaps are not great and I will brake while entering.

Once behind the lorry I then make a gap to it so I am not right up its backside and I can see.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am

vanman wrote:Allready in position so accelerate briskly, waiting till I can see CRV in rear mirror so I can come back in.

Couple of thoughts ...
  • did you initially use all of the acceleration, or only some?
  • did you ease off, down to their prior speed, to see how they like it?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 am

Gareth wrote:did you ease off, down to their prior speed, to see how they like it?

Or keep slowing down to the point they get annoyed enough to try overtaking, then accelerate again? :racing:

martine

Postby martine » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:29 am

Tricky situation and not something I've had (either due to not enough overtakes or lucky I guess?).

I think what you should do varies so much on the situation...how aggressive the other driver is, what you're driving, what they are driving, the road etc. You chose to continue and no one was hurt - apart from the other driver's pride possibly...so I wouldn't get hung up on it.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 am

Get thee behind me satan...What you did.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 pm

vieuxtigre wrote:not all IAM examiners keep a strict eye on speedos during safe overtaking manoeuvres.

To clarify, the guidance to examiners says, "candidates cannot plan to exceed the speed limit" [my emphasis]. In Tom's case, it seems clear that exceeding the speed limit was not part of his driving plan at the point of commitment, and was necessary for safety once committed.

David

Return to “General Chat”