Driving licences for UK citizens after March 2019

Advanced Driving across Europe
angus

Re: Driving licences for UK citizens after March 2019

Postby angus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Please. We're doing the Freedom Trail then intend to spend a few days each in Bilbao, Biarritz and Bordeau

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm

angus wrote:Please. We're doing the Freedom Trail then intend to spend a few days each in Bilbao, Biarritz and Bordeau

Bilbao certainly and I can recommend Hotel Zenit in the city centre - https://reservas.zenithoteles.com/Inicio/Index - you must reserve parking ahead though. The small chain has comfortable boutique hotels at good prices. The old market is certainly worth visiting along with the Guggenheim etc...have a look to see if the pilot boat races are happening on the river as they are well worth seeing.
A side trip to Guernica to see the Basque parliament building (and the tree under which all meetings take place) should be thought about I think. The building itself is worth seeing.
The jewel of that coast is San Sebastian or Donostia as it is now known. It is quite possibly one of the loveliest cities in the continent with its sweeping beach (La Concha) prosperous and with excellent food. It is the home of Basque tapas. An early evening walk along the promenade and a free poured Pacharran or GinTonic watching the sun go down is decidedly lush.
The Basque people are charming and do not generally expect you to speak their unique language. The food is about as good as you will find and they make some excellent beer.
The road system is very good but the ring roads around Bilbao are huge and need concentration in the rain (it rains a lot) there are many speed cameras.
When you get away from the cities the quality of the roads is equally as good and the traffic light.
Happy to help.

angus

Postby angus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:52 am

angus wrote:Thanks

A favourite Basque drink in the summer (aside from the excellent beer) is .... wait for it ... red wine and CocaCola (never ask for coke in Spain..it means something entirely different but freely available) it is called a Kalimotxo ( X pronounced as the ch in chair).
It sounds disgusting but on a hot afternoon is not at all bad :)
Have a great time and this year I am missing going on the Camino de Santiago due to a knackered knee. It is not for religious reasons but historic and cultural. I very much appreciate the trip you are making.

Return to “Europe”