Change in police pursuit policy?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Change in police pursuit policy?

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:01 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... -in-london
Footage shared to get the message out there no doubt. I wonder how the training works and who the victims are while the police practice? (or maybe that's not quite what "special training" means :lol: )

GTR1400MAN

Re: Change in police pursuit policy?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:51 pm

About ******** time!

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm

I saw an in-car video of police chasing a bike (saw it '93), possibly in one of the Sussex seaside towns. Bike led them a merry chase around the back streets until they ended up on the road along the seafront. At which point, a car coming the opposite way swerved across on the bike went straight into its front. Not quite TPAC or PITT, more like shoot to kill.

A just hope none of the manouevres as in this new video end up (for the driver's sake)) with scroat going under the police car.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Manchester Police have been doing the same for some time. There are a couple of videos on Youtube, Ill try to find them
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Apropos Twitter comment:
"I’d join the police just to do this."

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:00 pm

I knew a trafpol who was told to join the police by his wife. Words to the effect of "You'd get to stop other people rather than being stopped yourself".

His nickname was 'Danno', after Hawaii 5-0 ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:02 pm

It's a dodgy game the police are playing and there are bound to be mistakes. It is along the same lines as the general arming of the police; that needs a public that will accept that every now and then an innocent person will be killed or seriously injured.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:35 pm

For all the upsides, there is, inevitably, a really big downside.

Every time they use a car to "take out" a scooter they damage the car. Depending on the level of damage that car will be off the road for at least a couple of weeks, and quite often a lot longer. In more severe cases the car might even be written off. The cost of this is *HUGE*. Think how much it costs to fully equip a roads policing car. They only have so many cars and, as we all know, they have no money.

Now, weigh that against the likelihood of a prosecution, the likelihood of that prosecution being successful, the level of sentence that the scumbag is likely to get and whether or not he/she will ever actually serve it and, as much as you might like the idea, you have to ask whether it is actually worth it.

If, OTOH, the police had US style nudge bars on the front of the car...

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Now, weigh that against the likelihood of a prosecution, the likelihood of that prosecution being successful, the level of sentence that the scumbag is likely to get and whether or not he/she will ever actually serve it and, as much as you might like the idea, you have to ask whether it is actually worth it.

I imagine the main goal is not the catching of one individual, but the general deterrence against using mopeds in the belief that plod isn't allowed to chase you.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:39 pm

I think the question stands. Given the pressure on police budgets, even as a "message" it is very expensive and is very likely to result in even fewer RPU cars on the road. I understand and accept fully that the miscreants need to understand they will no longer get a free pass but, let's be honest, some of the hits in those clips were pretty hard and will have caused significant damage. I don't particularly care what happens to the rider but I do care about further reducing RPU numbers unnecessarily.

Return to “In The News”