One for the ADIs - roundabout indicating

The first test you do - organised by the government.
fungus

Re: One for the ADIs - roundabout indicating

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Like Martin, I don't know of any ADIs who teach this, and it is very misleading. Most ADIs will teach the advice given in the Highway Code, and most will probably insist that a signal is given, which is not an issue if given correctly.

Many ADIs will also teach a learner to signal when moving of from the side of the road or pulling in to a parked position. The reason being, just in case they miss something when making their observations. This is not something that I personally do unless vision is poor, or there is the likelihood of a vehicle appearing from a blind area such as a nearby junction.

Why some ADIs still teach always signal beats me, but I suppose it's the easier option. The advice in the DVSAs Driving the Essential Skills gives examples of unecessarry signals, for instance. It may not be necessarry to signal when moving off or pulling in, or if there is no one to benifit from it.

Although in the very early stages of driving when a learner is still grappling with the controls, and they are concentrating on this, they should still be encouraged to look for a reason to signal, when the stuation allows. Some might think this a little hard, but they need to be taught to think.

Nigel.

Speary

Postby Speary » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:10 am

Consider this. Approaching a mini roundabout that is offset to the left, intending to go straight ahead. If there was a vehicle behind me I would consider a right turn signal to stop the following driver thinking I am going left as I drive around the spot. Once past the left exit I put on a left signal. Where I live many people drive over the middle of mini roundabouts.

titian

Postby titian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:09 am

Speary - check out this thread
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195#p3203

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:36 am

The only thing to consider when considering a signal is; will the giving this signal assist another road user? Will it make what I intend to do blatantly obvious.
It should never be automatic or done without considering the likely effect of it.
There will be many situations where no signal at all may be better than a poorly judged one.

Kats Dad

Postby Kats Dad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I thought the user base of this ridiculous technique from days gone by were gradually dying out as age catches up with them. I'm saddened to hear the gene pool is being contaminated again.

I fully agree with your sentiments on this one. I didn't even know that this was something that was taught back-in-the-day. Surely any examiner in their right mind should fail a candidate doing this on test?

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 pm

I teach my pupils to consider a signal.

Imagine this situation. A mini roundabout at a T juction where this only an ahead and a right turn. You are going ahead 1st exit. There is no driver approaching from the road you are going to exit into but you have a vehicle following you. Is a signal necessary? No, there is no benefit to the following driver, and if you were taking the second exit, you woud signal right. If there is a driver approaching and they are in a position where you will reach the roundabout at the same time as them, then yes, a left signal should be given just before reaching the roundabout. This signal given too early could lead a following driver to think that you are pulling in before the roundabout. An exit signal on a mini roundabout is usually because there is insufficient time for the signal to benefit other road users.

For a learner it can often be difficult to read other road users intentions without a signal, but there may be clues that they can pick up on. For instance a driver signaling left to exit a roundabout, but the speed is too high. An example of this happened a few years ago to one of my pupils here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.75369 ... a=!3m1!1e3

We were wating in the road to the SW where Suttle Stone Quarries are. In those days the A3049 Canford Way only had two approach lanes, not three as it is now. A driver approached from Canford Way signalling left, but the speed was too high to take the first exit. The driver was taking the second exit A3049 Dorset Way. The pupil read this one easy enough. But there are many situations where they won't. An example is here in Wimborne Minster.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79791 ... a=!3m1!1e3

When waiting to enter this mini roundabout from the B3073 Rodway, a driver needs to be very aware of the drivers entering the roundabout from the left Lewens Lane as they could well be U turning. If you scroll North up Lewens Lane you will see Park Lane on the left. There is a No Right Turn for South bound traffic, and they have to U turn at St Catherines roundabout as it is known localy. The clue here is the usually slower speed and wider position of the U turner.

A couple more examples of situations that can be awkward for learners. The double mini roundabout can be awkward for experienced drivers, let alone learners.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.73837 ... a=!3m1!1e3

When going ahead on the A350 Blandford Rd either North or South, which lane would you use? Local drivers use either.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.73896 ... a=!3m1!1e3

This roundabout seems easy enough. But it seems that examiners want candidates to keep left when going ahead 2nd exit, which I disagree with as there are only two exits, left and ahead. Most drivers straighten this roundabout when going ahead into Adastral Rd. Keeping too far left is, in my opinion misleading as it would be here when travelling South from Wimborne Rd into Lockyers Rd. Most drivers turning right and continuing on Wimborne Rd take a wider line around the roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.78075 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Sorry for straying a little from the original thread, but I thought I'd give some examples of some roundabouts local to me that can cause problems for learners.

Nigel.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Triquet wrote:I think this is clear-cut in the UK, but watch out if you go to France. They have a habit of signalling right going into a RB then dribbling round the outside and shooting off at random into any exit without signalling

I'm not 100% sure, but I've spoken a couple of Russians on a forum for a driving-related game, and they say the rule in Russia is that you indicate right when turning on to the roundabout, then you indicate left all the way around the roundabout, then you indicate right when taking the exit you want. This makes it a nightmare when travelling around the bigger multi-lane roundabouts apparently as you can expect to join it only to see someone on the very inside lane suddenly indicate right and dive across 3 or more lanes to take the exit they want! :shock:

Return to “Learner Driving”