ROSPA Cornering

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

ROSPA Cornering

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 pm

This video is on YouTube on a channel called ROSPATube. While ROSPA branded it does have an IAM Roadsmart plug and logo at the end. As it is funded by the Department of Transport I'm not sure who actually produced it.

That's by the by. My main question is "Do we not equalise for oncoming?" I've resisted to ask the question on the ROSPA Facebook page as it is getting noting but Likes. What's the thoughts here?

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Re: ROSPA Cornering

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:This video is on YouTube on a channel called ROSPATube. While ROSPA branded it does have an IAM Roadsmart plug and logo at the end. As it is funded by the Department of Transport I'm not sure who actually produced it.

That's by the by. My main question is "Do we not equalise for oncoming?" I've resisted to ask the question on the ROSPA Facebook page as it is getting noting but Likes. What's the thoughts here?

He talks about never sacrificing safety for position. Could that not cover it? I thought the biker could have moved closer to the bicyclist with the big truck oncoming!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:40 pm

crr003 wrote:He talks about never sacrificing safety for position. Could that not cover it? I thought the biker could have moved closer to the bicyclist with the big truck oncoming!

Or timed his arrival so as not to be in the sandwich.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (186.95 KiB) Viewed 18077 times

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (254.93 KiB) Viewed 18077 times
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:54 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Capture2.JPG

I thought he was overtaking!

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Giving a tintop point of view, I have noticed that a lot of bikes tend to keep their line and not react to oncoming traffic. I understand that they are in the best stable state and perhaps reluctant to deviate even slightly, however tittops WILL deviate for all sorts of reasons so I personally would keep well clear.
Just a thought. I also felt that quite a few open bends could have been opened up to advantage by using perhaps all the road (probably not in the ROSPA handbook though)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:44 pm

vanman wrote:Giving a tintop point of view, I have noticed that a lot of bikes tend to keep their line and not react to oncoming traffic. I understand that they are in the best stable state and perhaps reluctant to deviate even slightly, however tittops WILL deviate for all sorts of reasons so I personally would keep well clear.

This video of mine has a few examples of moving to position 2 (sump line) or even pos 1, to see AND BE SEEN. That last bit is often forgotten. I like to be visible to the rider/driver playing peek-a-boo from behind an artic in 'preparation' for an overtake.

vanman wrote:Just a thought. I also felt that quite a few open bends could have been opened up to advantage by using perhaps all the road (probably not in the ROSPA handbook though)

Ah, the can of worms that is off-siding. I'll just throw in the 'maintain, not gain a view' soundbite.
(I only cover it with new associates once they've 'got it' and start to go that little bit wider naturally. Otherwise I leave them on their side of the road.)

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:39 am

Worms should be let out of the can on occasion, just to check the boundries. Nice bit of peddling :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:00 pm

"Camber increases the effectiveness of steering "

That's one I've not heard before.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 pm

Horse wrote:"Camber increases the effectiveness of steering "

That's one I've not heard before.

I've not heard it expressed like that either. They've made it even more confusing for the right hand by talking about crown camber with a line drawing, while the footage is a super elevation bend.

I normally talk about how the different types cambers can work for you (like a motocross rider going round a berm to the extreme of the fairground wall of death) or against you making you run wide, or effectively have less lean angle available, depending on the camber type and whether left or right.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:20 am

A lot of time and effort (so, presumably, cash too) has gone into making that video. All I can say is that, when training, I had different priorities in the course structure.

For camber, I totally agree with your version (in fact, many years ago, wrote an article for the long-defunct IAM Motorcyclist magazine).

Gaining view by positioning? I've posted this many times before:
http://the-ride-info-new.blogspot.com/2 ... n.html?m=1
All real-world example, showing that, although you might gain a better view of the offside verge, the essential nearside view gain is minimal.

And as for sacrifice position for safety - repeated in the commentary then flatly contradicted by the aerial shot!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”