Masters - Journalist failed, then passed

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Gareth

Re: Masters - Journalist failed, then passed

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Horse wrote:"One was his lack of use of what is effectively the Hendon Shuffle - always stopping on the rear brake then swapping feet. There are of course many instances when this is impossible or inadvisable, and to cite this as a fail seems ridiculous.

Sometimes descriptions leave out important detail ... could it have been that there was a circumstance or two where using the rear brake could have potentially yielded some benefit but the candidate didn't think to use it?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Gareth wrote:Sometimes descriptions leave out important detail ... could it have been that there was a circumstance or two where using the rear brake could have potentially yielded some benefit but the candidate didn't think to use it?

The article says ALWAYS finish with back brake BUT, having heard Associates explain to me (and others) why they failed, and over many debriefing conversations on Observed Rides and X-Checks, it is quite apparent they some have selective hearing. :o ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 pm

I simply don't know, could only guess. Of course, journalists never get things wrong ;)

Does Masters include a written debrief? And it does seem odd that he could 'survive' the coaching to fall foul in the test.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”