A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Gareth

Re: A few more videos

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 pm

What's with the "no centre line" qualifier?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Gareth wrote:What's with the "no centre line" qualifier?

Because that was the type of roads the video was about. (I was asked elsewhere this was shared what a C class road is. So the additional, but not really needed, bit of info may help some)

If your question was more about if the advice should also apply to centre lined roads ... Generally if there's a centre line I don't use all the road in the manner displayed in this video. I do straighten bends by crossing the centre line, and will stay on the other side of the line if I'm already there (after overtake or passed parked vehicles) and have the view. Otherwise, staying within the posted speed limits I don't find it necessary.

Draws up a chair and finds some popcorn ... this could run a while :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:06 pm

I know my view might not be widely held but, if there is an advantage to be gained, then I'll use it all. Prevailing speed limits do tend to limit those occasions, although it can be nicer to reduce cornering forces at times.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 am

What Gareth said.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Gareth wrote: if there is an advantage to be gained, then I'll use it all. Prevailing speed limits do tend to limit those occasions,

[Devil's advocate mode]
Surely it's safer at lower speeds - shorter braking distances and much lower combined closing speeds?

:)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 pm

It depends...

How much extra road I use will be determined by how much extra view I am gaining; how much extra stability it provides and how both of those fit with my speed. The presence, or not, of paint and any posted limit will have nothing to do with it.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:23 am

My latest YouTube video during the lockdown.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:46 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote: NB. This video includes an experiment of showing my speedo and instruments, for gear etc., following previous requests in the comments of other videos. The results are a little disappointing as the position of the camera doesn't show the actual needle view that the rider of the motorcycle gets. It also shows that either the camera mount or the instruments are not perfectly in line with the headstock.

Use picture in picture - albeit two cameras needed and loads more editing time!

Have you watched it? :roll:

Nope, i haven't watched all of every one of your videos and obviously not the relevant bits of this one.

Is it, then, too simple to suggest that camera positioning needs to be altered depending on what you want that particular video to demonstrate?

So no need for the 'roll eyes' :)

At its most extreme, you could construct a rig similar to Code's, with a trellis structure mounting the camera behind and above the rider.

http://www.cbr600rr.com/pages/reviews/c ... o_bike.jpg

Or, more simply, use something like the camera on a (blue light) stick used in some police videos. Decide what you want to show (even storyboard it) and record accordingly, rather than try and fix in post.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 am

Had to wind back a way to see what I was talking about. :) LOL

Have been experimenting (just before the lockdown) with some GPS software on the phone and overlaying speed on the video in post. It's a bit too laggy and would just generate too many comments.

I've actually tried a camera on a selfie stick attached to the rack, but not rigid enough. That Code rig would draw some on road interest. :)

I've actually got some money in a slush fund for a 360 camera with GPS that may kill two birds with one stone, but deciding on which one would suit my needs best is taking sometime.They tend to concentrate on phone users and there is quite some wait for the dedicated PC software to be fit for purpose.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Again, it depends on what you want to illustrate/demonstrate.

Some of the car dashcams will overlay accln/braking* forces and speed onto Google maps. That might be worth considering (I borrowed a Blackvue, but it had to go back - from the outputs i realised that I was on the drive late for one particular roundabout!

* Sideways force too - naff all use on a bike!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”