A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Yup, on almost all bike gearboxes a 'car' H pattern block change is impossible, the nearest you can achieve is by holding the clutch lever in.

That said, because of bike control ergonomics, BGOL can usually be done smoothly, including rev matching.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Horse wrote:That said, because of bike control ergonomics, BGOL can usually be done smoothly, including rev matching.

Yep, we can steer, brake (including front/rear balance), change gear and rev match all at once :) (and a lot of Associates do any combination of those :) )
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Classic example of 'just because you can ... ' :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:08 am

My latest video. A first impressions ride of the CFMOTO 650MT.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:28 pm

A mate in NZ has had a CF650 for about 5 years and, when I asked recently, said it was still 'going strong'.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:51 pm

Horse wrote:A mate in NZ has had a CF650 for about 5 years and, when I asked recently, said it was still 'going strong'.

That's good to hear. I admit I was expecting it to be cheap and poor quality ... and it wasn't. It was built to a price with it being basic, but there is a market for that as modern bikes are becoming over complex with resulting ridiculous prices, and servicing costs. How they will stand up to a couple of UK winters will be interesting. A lot of the Chinese 'no brand' scooters are treated as disposable items.

One thing I missed out of the comments was that that the indicator lights on the dash (not the LCD part) are miniscule and was continually having another stab at the button 'just in case' it wasn't cancelled.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:30 am

While you were at the shop, was there any sign of the tourer version, a mini Pan lookkalikee?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:36 am

Horse wrote:While you were at the shop, was there any sign of the tourer version, a mini Pan lookkalikee?

I know the one you mean. Having looked online at the UK and main site, they don't appear to do that one anymore.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 am

That's a shame. Although given the lack of bigger tourers on the market now, perhaps there just isn't demand for them?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am

There's a market for a practical mid-range sports/tourer but the marketing machine has decided you WILL ride an adventure bike. When you ask/complain at shows or online about the lack of decent sports/tourers, the response is "no-one buys them anymore". The reason no-one bought the old ones is they were left to stagnate, looking old and dated until they didn't meet new emissions restrictions and they were killed off.

One of the biggest sellers now is the Kawasaki Z1000SX Sports/tourer but for me, and many others, it's a bit too much sports in its riding position.

The marketing men have also convinced everyone they need mega HP, quick shifters, and a laptop instead of proper instruments.

And this is the left bar control on an Africa twin.

Time to get off my ranty soap box :)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”