A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 am

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Well here it is, my first voice-over video, rather than live commentary. A couple of word stumbles but I'm pleased with the editing results. :)

Interesting at about 3:15 and the justification for no left shoulder check.
We've (Group) got a couple of examiners at the moment who are both biker and car Plod and they are critical if an Associate (car) trys to leave a roundabout without a nearside shoulder/blind spot check so I've taken to beating a blind spot check into them.

0:43
Look at the direction of travel of the bike - it's already pointed towards the exit while the rider is looking to his left.

For any lifesaver, it has to be early enough to identify the problem, then initiate avoiding action.

Most riders in this situation would be travelling too fast to continue around the island.

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 am

Horse - You'll need to explain further I'm not sure of the point you are making to crr003.

Interestingly, is he showing blues? If not, why has the car stopped in the RAB to his right to allow him to join? The lorry on the motorway didn't give him any priority and the rider's speed certainly didn't suggest a blues training run.

Crr003 - Just thought about this some more, with relation to cars. Left shoulder check?! Left mirror check, yes. I can't ever remember a left shoulder check in the car. What am I going to see? Passenger head restraint? Porthole sized privacy glass rear door window? Rear quarter of the car or edge of the hatchback? Hmmm.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am

If you've not seen it, search for Kent Police Riding Plans, with Perfect Day it's probably one of the best training videos ever made.

But it has faults. Coincidentally, a couple relate to lifesavers. The first is at the start of the video, when you see a group of four trainees, turning right. Two do lifesavers, one doesn't, one looks mid-turn.

The point of the ride that I commented on earlier is actually two points, one specific the other general.

Specifically, his look was far too late. If there was something there, then he was already committed to riding in front of it. His only options would be 'accelerate' or 'lift left leg to avoid the car impact'.

Generally, riders do - as you say - lifesaver by rote, without thought of what action they would make, or could achieve. On a roundabout, what are the options if you identify another vehicle on your left? I would suggest that, usually, riders would be too fast to have any chance of being successful at that.

The video (1982?) was made with a pillion passenger carrying a big, old-fashioned, professional video camera. The screen was removed to improve view.

Not on b&t.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:27 am

Oh, look for the earlier System video too. Good old 'blue book'. But slightly *cough* clunkier production.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Interesting you raise that set of videos I have them grouped together here.

https://www.suffolk-advanced-motorcyclists.com/sam-video-the-way-we-were.html

I was going to link to the Roadcraft one when originally replying to Crr003, but I was on the phone at the time and the editing was too difficult for my finger and thumb :)

The world of advanced riding has moved on since then. More traffic, faster traffic, more complex road layouts, better mirrors/bikes/tyres etc. This video really does show the 'old school' way of riding. If you tried to cram all that lot in now, you'd run out of space/time.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Horse wrote:Not on b&t.

I wonder why the car stopped for him then?

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Odd, then, that riders taught that way have managed to survive through all those roads changes ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:Not on b&t.

I wonder why the car stopped for him then?

Date/era context? Very few bikes had white fairings a panniers back then, so drivers' schema probably often popped the message 'police' into their mind.

I got my first white bike, a KRT, in '92/3 I think. It was common then to get that reaction (often, amusingly, after they'd pulled out in front, at which point the internal message took a tad longer to process, delivering "You f@ckwit, you've just cut up a police bike!").

By the time I got my second white bike, an RRT (after almost singing the patriotic rainbow of blue, then red), plod had moved on to battenburg colours and the schema had changed.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Talking of dates, the first video uses a bike fitted with an Avon fairing, second is a standard RT, 'much' later.

Do you want links / suggestions for more videos?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Horse wrote:Odd, then, that riders taught that way have managed to survive through all those roads changes ;)

Because they have adapted and don't ride fully like that now. ;)

The whole point I was making with regard to regimented shoulder checks that Crr003 said his examiners required.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”