A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:11 pm

I thought it was produced at a similar time to new Roadcraft (1995).

FWIW, 4:3 to 16:9 changeover:

According to Wiki, about 2000, although C5 waited until 2001. But apparently stuff was being made in widescreen earlier., with the BBC producing in the format from 1998 if not before, as did Sky Apparently 2000 was the year that adverts for screening were no longer allowed to be in 4:3, so evidently it became standard at that point.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Look, I was bored, ok?

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/about/history/timeline/

Roadcraft: the Police Driver's Course on Advanced Driving

Roadcraft: the Police Driver's Course on Advanced Driving published. The video follows police drivers on a standard response course at Hendon Driving School.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 pm

Horse wrote:Look, I was bored, ok?

:lol:

Yeah, 2005 is what I said it said on the DVD.

If you click through to its detail it says ...

roadcraft.co.uk wrote:The footage of this DVD was filmed some time ago and therefore does not always correspond to the latest edition of Roadcraft.

You may wish to consider purchasing Roadcraft Online, an eLearning platform which also includes video clips of key manoevres, including limit points and overtaking.

I did a search and the white shirt and tie were dropped in 2007. So all ties in, though watching it seems like another world/time. Now off to watch police Interceptors on C5 :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:52 pm

jcochrane wrote: Some cars disable the throttle if on the brake so would not be possible in them anyway.

I haven't come across a system like that. The almost universal Bosch ECU seems to be set up to cut the gas if the brake is applied with gas on (which precludes left foot braking, strictly understood as a technique to adjust the attitude of the car). Braking, then adding gas with the brake still on, as for heel and toe, is allowed. The key is the order in which the overlap happens.

David

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:07 am

kfae8959 wrote:
jcochrane wrote: Some cars disable the throttle if on the brake so would not be possible in them anyway.
Braking, then adding gas with the brake still on, as for heel and toe, is allowed. The key is the order in which the overlap happens.

David

See my earlier post re Polo with dodgy brake light switch. Unfortunately, colleague was inside the car, facing forward, so would not have been able to explain the sequence ;)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 am

kfae8959 wrote:
I haven't come across a system like that.
You have, and you've driven them multiple times! (Although the Magnificant Coaten explained how the throttle is cut off perhaps half a second after the start of braking.)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:54 pm

Gareth wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:
You have, and you've driven them multiple times! (Although the Magnificant Coaten explained how the throttle is cut off perhaps half a second after the start of braking.)

...and that's why it is so confusing you're sure the throttle is responding, then it's dead. I was so puzzled when driving with Mrs Gareth that I pulled over to find out what was going on.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:55 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Gareth wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:

...and that's why it is so confusing you're sure the throttle is responding, then it's dead. I was so puzzled when driving with Gareth's wife that I pulled over to find out what was going on. It worked fine when not moving. Set off again but same problem. Stopped a second time and then she explained that I wasn't doing anything wrong it was the way the car worked.
Last edited by jcochrane on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 pm

I'll copy-type the relevant section of the Bosch Automotive Handbook in due course, but I've just moved and for now I don't know which box it's in, nor how deep.

David

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:18 pm

kfae8959 wrote:I'll copy-type the relevant section of the Bosch Automotive Handbook in due course, but I've just moved and for now I don't know which box it's in, nor how deep.

David

Does it have the annexe with "how to cheat the EU Co2 measurements"? :lol:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”