How to become an IAM Motorcycle Examiner?

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 am

How to become an IAM Motorcycle Examiner?

Postby motorcyclist » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Already a full member of IAM (car & motorcycle & commercial vehicles). To my understanding, If I am not a serving or retired Police Rider/Instructor, I need to take the IMI National Observer Assessment before I can apply to Roadsmart Headquarter (IMI Examiners qualification). Do I need attending further training / test before I can be appointed as Examiner? Further, are there any motorcycle examiners' course I can take (Roadsmart/ RoSPA / DIA .....)?

User avatar
Posts: 2477
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: How to become an IAM Motorcycle Examiner?

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Add to your list ' . . . or somehow managed to wangle your way into achieving a Class 1 / 'advanced' ticket'.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: How to become an IAM Motorcycle Examiner?

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:19 pm

I think you have to have a masters with distinction and a LO assessors approval details are on the Roadsmart website
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

User avatar
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: How to become an IAM Motorcycle Examiner?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:39 pm

As far as I'm aware you need to have passed the National Observer test and not be an Observer or Committee Member with any Group you'd test Associates from.

Here's a leaflet. You may need to login to see it.

Edit: Re-reading this it does say AND a pass at Masters level
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. -

Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 10:36 am

Re: How to become an IAM Motorcycle Examiner?

Postby Trebor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 am

When I last spoke to our regional examiner (or Area Service Delivery Manager as they are now called) I was told you needed to be a National Observer and have passed the IAM Masters Test. At the time there was speculation that you had to have a Masters Distinction, but I was told that this was not the case, as this excerpt from the IAM site would appear to confirm:

So if you are interested in the opportunity to become an Examiner with us, are a qualified police advanced driver or rider, or you hold a current IAM Masters qualification and an IMI National Observer Qualification then please do get in touch with your Area Service Delivery Manager

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests