Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
jont-

Autonomous bikes?

Postby jont- » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 am

Looks like you riders can't escape either... :lol:

GTR1400MAN

Re: Autonomous bikes?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 am

Yes I saw that this morning. There's also a longer presentation.

It doesn't use gyroscopes but I don't know how it works. Gyroscoped bikes and two wheeled cars have been tried in the past but unsurprisingly they don't want to corner. This thing seems to be variable so could cut in at slow speed leading to 100% feet up riding. This would then influence motorcycle design and feet forward bikes may start becoming more popular. Honda are already heading the FF direction with the controversial Vultus.

I'm not interested in any self ride tech but the slow speed stability is an interesting concept.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43 am

Often - and from the bike's PoV - the rider is what causes the crash, while the bike just wants to carry on along its merry way.

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Found out how it works.

It doesn't use gyroscopes It extends/shortens the wheel base via the variable headstock and wiggles the front wheel left/right. A bit like a trials rider does with the clutch and weight.

Imagine in the future a bike where you sit like you do in a car with the ability to stop in traffic with your feet up. Vehicles like the MonoTracer would become smaller and more mainstream/cheaper.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Found out how it works.
Imagine in the future a bike where you sit like you do in a car with the ability to stop in traffic with your feet up.

No need to make sure your not about to put your foot down into a water filled pot hole. Bonus :D
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:45 am

Or pulling over to the side when there's an oncoming vehicle and putting your left foot down onto wet grass which slopes away . . .

Luckily for me, the vehicle cleared and I was able to accelerate away before me and a large bike went sideways!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am

Or (in my yoof) riding 120 miles in freezing fog never having to stop. Got home, rode onto the frost covered front drive and forgot to put ANY feet down. I was seriously cold having ridden visor up and wearing less than ideal gear. A serious lesson for me.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:31 pm

I've used heated gloves, then grips, since about '79, but couldn't believe the difference that a heated waistcoat makes. Wish I'd bought one way back.

First ride on 'mains' (12v off the bike rather than battery pack) was over 120 miles in 2C temperature, windy and wet. One T&P stop. Half-way I switched the grips off, just cold toes when I got home.

EXO2 - fantastic!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”