Should Associates wear their usual clothing, not hi-viz, for training?

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Ohlins

Should Associates wear their usual clothing, not hi-viz, for training?

Postby Ohlins » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:04 pm

While I don’t want to start another debate on the merits of hi-viz vests, I was surprised that Username Kate’s observer asked her to wear one before her first observed ride. Shouldn’t associates wear their usual motorcycle clothing?

If other drivers react differently to you wearing hi-viz, but a yellow vest isn’t your usual attire, it’s not representative of your regular riding.

(Albeit, whether or not you believe hi-viz makes a difference, Kate was an example of a pointless vest: it was hidden behind her screen at the front and under her rucksack at the back.)

Incidentally, I feel observers shouldn’t recommend wearing a vest willy-nilly – now more of us have airbag jackets. Is there a possibility a vest (depending on its fit) could hamper an airbag from inflating?

exportmanuk

Re: Should Associates wear their usual clothing, not hi-viz, for training?

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:26 pm

Ohlins wrote:
Incidentally, I feel observers shouldn’t recommend wearing a vest willy-nilly – now more of us have airbag jackets. Is there a possibility a vest (depending on its fit) could hamper an airbag from inflating?

I don't wear a Yellow high viz vest but as a group we do have observer vests, black with reflective stripes. I wear mine over an air vest do not expect it to interfere with the operation should it be required.

Associates can wear what ever they like as long as it is appropriate
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:24 pm

It's not a requirement for associates to wear HiViz. I will discuss the pros/cons if it is a grey foggy day
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:12 pm

When I was using a bike on a regular basis (some 20 yrs ago) I had a car turning right in front of me at night. They stopped short of the turn and said they hadn't seen me, as I was lost in the headlights behind me. After that I always used a Sam Brown reflective belt ag all times. Still here!

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:48 pm

exportmanuk wrote:I don't wear a Yellow high viz vest but as a group we do have observer vests, black with reflective stripes.

Night-time training? ;)

I used to wear a lo-viz (red, with silver retroreflective stripes) when training certain courses. Because it displayed 'company' branding and had pockets for prompt cards and radio.

Otherwise, I'd want other road users to react as usual (I hesitate to say 'normal') to us.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”