Search for understanding

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
crr003

Search for understanding

Postby crr003 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:54 pm

So what's so bad about the second overtake?

https://youtu.be/StSFfqR2QXw

GTR1400MAN

Re: Search for understanding

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:20 pm

Apart from the speeding, not a lot. There's a thread in there that Advanced Training allows/encourages/requires speeding to overtake. One even claims it allows overtakes on solid whites. I did comment but it is so busy there it has got buried.

A lot of people just do not 'get' how much better visibility is on a motorcycle. (not that I'm condoning the footage)

He should stick to what he knows. He's branching out into cycling also. Just lately lots of dashcam stuff, including one that has caused a business to close all it's online presence (I wasn't convinced the footage showed a deliberate cycle 'punishment' but rather inattention and a abrupt reaction to van mirrors being close)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:30 am

Is there any explanation in the comments (I've watched the video) of what happened?

The rider is up and walking, so it probably wasn't a high-speed impact (such as Vs oncoming vehicle, or a wall or tree) and #2 has been able to turn around and park.

Then the fire. Was there a fuel leak, or tank punctured somehow?

I'm not going to dispute seeming high speed and illegal overtaking. But neither directly contributed to an incident several minutes later.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:37 am

No explanations. Just criticism.

I'm not sure if the mud distributed over the road is a result of him not making the bend and going off roading, or if it was there already and caused his off.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:44 am

Based on 00:25-27 I'd say there's a fair chance that the first rider was offside at the double white line, had to make a very hasty return to the nearside, overdid it, clipped the verge, leading to serious instability.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:05 am

Horse wrote:Is there any explanation in the comments (I've watched the video) of what happened?

The rider is up and walking, so it probably wasn't a high-speed impact (such as Vs oncoming vehicle, or a wall or tree) and #2 has been able to turn around and park.

Then the fire. Was there a fuel leak, or tank punctured somehow?

I'm not going to dispute seeming high speed and illegal overtaking. But neither directly contributed to an incident several minutes later.

You make a good point. I had the same thoughts myself. The video author appears to assume that the way he was overtaken explains what happened 5 mins later. As horse explains this assumption is not necessarily supported by what we see. The explanation of what happened is unknown to us and the author. I've watched other videos by this author and his "holier than thou" attitude irritates me. He comes across as believing that he is the ultimate authority on all road matters.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:25 pm

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:34 pm

crr003 wrote:https://youtu.be/VOU9NM-tljc

A bit more.

Still not condoning the riding BUT the dashcam is ON THE DASH in this vehicle. The bike rider is way higher, and given his excess speed could have done a momentum overtake, waiting for the solid to end. That's not to say he did. But it's not as black/white dangerous as Mr Neal makes out.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:56 pm

Having now watched it on a monitor rather than phone, the debris, that Gareth pointed out, leading to the bonfire is more obvious.

Gareth's interpretation is highly, and sadly, likely. But it could as easily have been an oncoming vehicle over the centre.

War stories.

Couple of years ago I was driving along the Basingstoke ring road. A bike passed me, was weaving in and out of 60-70 mph traffic to get ahead. Thought goes theough your mind "that won't end well".

Very soon after, I passed the slip off towards the AA tower, it's a left then long right bend, and glanced down to see the rider sat on his bike, parked into the barrier, surrounded by a cloud of dust.

On an advanced course, at the tail of a string of bikes: rider, instructor, rider, me, approaching a r h bend.

Oncoming lorry-sized horsebox. Driver completely misjudged the (for them) left bend and came well over the centre line. Between nos. 2 and 3.

I had a trainee bin a bike mid-bend (in a 30 limit). Cause was an undisclosed medical issue.

Following driver stopped at the scene specifically to tell attending police that we had, for several miles, been riding sensibly and keeping to speed limits.

Sometimes it is as simple as it seems, other times not.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:https://youtu.be/VOU9NM-tljc

A bit more.

Still not condoning the riding BUT the dashcam is ON THE DASH in this vehicle. The bike rider is way higher, and given his excess speed could have done a momentum overtake, waiting for the solid to end. That's not to say he did. But it's not as black/white dangerous as Mr Neal makes out.

During one of my advanced instructor assessments, I stood up to get a view over a crest, then accelerated.

Caught the assessor by surprise :)
Last edited by Horse on Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”