Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Does it start "Why ... " and end " ... clang" ?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:51 am

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:34 am

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:29 pm

I did comment on this one:

Reg I was quite surprised to hear what you were saying in this video. We are normally pretty much on the same page. "Shoulder checks at EVERY left/right turn". How bad are your mirrors? Regular mirror checks: yes. Maintain a 360 view in your head: yes. Be more vigilant in busy built up areas: yes. But Roadcraft clearly says to CONSIDER a Lifesaver.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:01 am

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:05 pm

Hmmm Image

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:12 pm

Hmmm Image

Not a F1rst? Not a Pass?
It was funny how she was sure she'd failed. Kept it together well after that.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:31 pm

crr003 wrote:Not a F1rst? Not a Pass?

Back at ya :)
What would you say if that happened on a car test?

Her nerves went after she thought (correctly) she had blown it.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:39 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Not a F1rst? Not a Pass?

Back at ya :)
What would you say if that happened on a car test?

Well, I was just settling in to watch both videos again, when I read the comments on Reg's.
Pretty much covers it! (Worrying lack of HC knowledge on there though....)

Interesting to learn this isn't the original video maybe?

Being a lifelong cager, I thought her ride looked confident and somewhat systematic. If the result had been a pass I wouldn't have been surprised.
I'd have failed her for clipping the mini roundabout; but that's just me.
There was some "speeding", but maybe it was "GPS calibrated" - (but we all understand bikers are allowed to go faster, especially during overtakes! ;) )

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:11 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:What would you say if that happened on a car test?

When I took my basic car test a long time ago, I had a similar experience. Instructor had got a brand new car the day before (1977 Vauxhall Viva) I had driven it to the test centre that was it. Set off OK first set of lights turning right stopped on red then started away with a priority green, unfortunatly I had not engaged 1st correctly and it started to move then kicked into neutral, instead of going through the stop, hand brake on etc. it was still rolling I simply dipped the clutch re engaged 1st and proceeded to make the right turn, whilst the priority was still available. Though FK I just failed, then drove as I normally would have ( I had a full motorcycle license already and drove a moggie minor every day) At then end I was shocked to be told I had passed. On handing over my license he commented that I had a full license and that was reflected in my awareness on the road.

My incident was within 5 mins of leaving the test centre, that FU dispelled my nerves and my drive was much better because of it. Its unclear exactly how early Kate made the questionable overtake but what is clear is her riding improved considerably after.

A test is always subjective. The videos have both been edited, and some comments added later (with hindsight). My judgment based on what has been shared may be different but I was not there on the day.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”