Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:56 pm

Listen from 13:27 onwards about how he expects an Associate on test to approach a lower speed limit.

I wouldn't want an associate shutting off for a limit change way in the distance, but a controlled approach using excellent acceleration sense displays good observation, forward planning, smoothness and dare I say it, eco riding. We wonder why so many think we are obsessed with progress.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:02 pm

I can see both sides of it.

It's probably one of those instances where a couple of minutes chat would clarify.

In the context of the following section, where he covers 'pass' requirements (by organisation and grade), I understood it to mean:

"By all means show good forward planning etc by using the throttle, acceleration sense, etc., to slow for lower limits, but don't expect a top mark for 'progress' and a Gold at RoSPA."

However ... he suggests you would lose a few seconds [progress] each time. It would be interesting to test that. NB for those readers who've never ridden, most bikes slow far quicker on a closed throttle than cars.

However 2 ... as you say: progress imperative . And as I've asked: how relevant is that for the general public? I quite accept that, for many people, they want to crack on - but for Joe & Josephine Public?

However 3 ... as you also hint: PR aspects!

Finally, he says that 'safety' will be the same, whatever test/grade. Well, that simply can't be true for speed.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

hir

Postby hir » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:16 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Some good stuff in there and useful pointers.

I know no video is perfect, however ...

Planning to stop, looking to go? If the car hadn't stopped, that horn wouldn't have saved him. Incorrect approach speed.
https://youtu.be/KN4dCOD_h4A?t=1771.

His speed through the roundabout and past the stationary white car was 13mph. As a car driver I would consider that to be an appropriate speed in that situation. I’m not a biker. What speed would you consider to be an appropriate speed on a bike in this particular situation?

However, I was disappointed that he didn’t mention that the white car can be seen approaching from the left before it disappears behind the houses, approx 5 seconds or so before he arrived at the roundabout. Better observation would have prepared him for the appearance of the white car long before he arrived at the hazard.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:32 pm

hir wrote:His speed through the roundabout and past the stationary white car was 13mph. As a car driver I would consider that to be an appropriate speed in that situation. I’m not a biker. What speed would you consider to be an appropriate speed on a bike in this particular situation?

With such a blind approach on the left I'd hope I'd be down to walking pace approaching the line. If clear then accelerate through. Watch it again and his speed doesn't change as he hoots. If the car had carried on, it would have required an evasive manoeuvre.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:55 pm

Double as I'm a bit slow!

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:59 am

"Squeeze and Squeeze"?

Nah

"Squeeze and Ease"

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am

I use the tube of toothpaste analogy for 3 stage braking.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I use the tube of toothpaste analogy for 3 stage braking.

TBH, not heard that one!

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:56 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:I use the tube of toothpaste analogy for 3 stage braking.

TBH, not heard that one!

Squeeze in the middle?

That's a bad thing for toothpaste BTW.

Rub, Condense, Release. Doesn't work for toothpaste. :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:36 pm

Toothpaste

You gently start to squeeze the tube as you start to apply to the brush, and then add some more pressure for the length of the brush and then gently ease off at the end. You wouldn't keep squeezing the tube as you come to the end.

A police rider colleague uses a much crude alternative, with the right audience, and involves #2s :o

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”