Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 04, 2022 1:20 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:A good explanation of something people often misunderstand.

Do you mean misunderstood as in incorrect implementation?

There's plenty who think that shutting the throttle and slowing in the gear you are in is the same as changing down to slow.

Have a read of the long debate at the end of the comments on my video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA2n-fT3CBw
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 04, 2022 3:09 pm

That was ... interesting :)

In a way, I think that I may know what Mr H was trying - and failing - to put across, possibly because he would drop himself in the do-dos.

Some time ago, probably on AD, someone posted up their diary notes from their police driving course. There was one bit that took me a moment to understand:

"Accelerating up to lower speed limits" Huh? Surely, if making progress, that should be "Braking down to lower speed limits"?

Then I twigged: accelerate accelerate accelerate GLF until ... BRAKE!!!!!!!! for the lower speed limit. No 'thirds' or steady state period, where Mr H's 'dynamic braking wouldn't fit. He mentions 'progress' briefly, does he have GLF style in mind?

Yes, he's right in some ways. On the long-defunct Visordown forum, in a discussion on smooth riding, acceleration sense, etc., a trafpol said that, on a shout, you would definitely see him braking, and firmly.

And that's a key point, it's time and place. In many of the bends that RL was riding through it would be near impossible to brake-throttle-brake-throttle to try and chase an extra fraction of a second.

Again, Mr H is right about using the brakes potentially being a quicker way of covering ground than using engine braking (not gears) alone. That, though, will depend greatly on the speed change required to negotiate the hazard.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 04, 2022 3:10 pm

And I suppose I'll have to watch your video now ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 04, 2022 5:58 pm

Horse wrote:That was ... interesting :)

My issue was with his understanding of what engine braking and slowing on the gears are.

I'm not averse to using the brakes myself, but not to the extent of GLF until I have to brake. However, I certainly do not fall into the "advanced riders don't need to brake" camp, and I'm often very vocal about the different characteristics of different engine configurations that some people should understand and not assume that every bike slows like an anchor has been thrown out when you shut the throttle. ;)

Horse wrote:And I suppose I'll have to watch your video now ;)

:lol:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 04, 2022 7:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: I certainly do not fall into the "advanced riders don't need to brake" camp

I keep a lookout for the source of advanced 'principles' like that.

Best I've heard is that it a training exercise in the early days of motorways involved something like driving flat out up the M1 without using the brakes.

Another was an exercise in assessing speed and engine (not gears) braking on cross-country runs. The instruction to the trainee was that they needed to ask permission before braking. So not only making the decision to slow early, but realising the shortfall early too.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 04, 2022 7:56 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote: I certainly do not fall into the "advanced riders don't need to brake" camp

I keep a lookout for the source of advanced 'principles' like that.

Sadly that view/perception does still float about. :cry:

I do get some to do an exercise of riding a reasonably flowing B road in 3rd or 4th, just to get that feel of a responsive gear. Another good exercise is maintaining 45 or 50 mph while going up and down the box from 3rd to sixth and back. It's a great way to practice rev matching. Of course I stress they are only exercises and what they are intended to achieve.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 04, 2022 8:08 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I do get some to do an exercise of riding a reasonably flowing B road in 3rd or 4th, just to get that feel of a responsive gear.

Another good exercise is maintaining 45 or 50 mph while going up and down the box from 3rd to sixth and back. It's a great way to practice rev matching.

Have you looked at the link? :) :) :)

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/diy ... g.html?m=1

Been on the web since 2001 and published in several IAM Group magazines ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 05, 2022 7:23 am

Ahh, maybe that's where I nicked them from orihinally way back then. :) Will have another read and see if I'm missing a trick or two.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu May 05, 2022 7:51 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Ahh, maybe that's where I nicked them from orihinally way back then. :) Will have another read and see if I'm missing a trick or two.

Nicked?

That's research, that is!

Actually, one of the places it was published was in your neck of the woods.

Editor and I 'discussed' his use of it all without attribution. Apparently, as he explained to me, "the Internet is free".

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 pm

Horse wrote:Have any of the 'car only' members here, with no bike experience, been watching these videos?

Any thoughts?

I only watch Mike's. Mainly to see if I can spot something dodgy, and to try and understand the thought process of the two wheeled.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”