Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Motorcycle Test

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:48 pm

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:49 pm

Pushing down on the outside peg really does nothing much. Well, it feels good ;) What it does do is anchor you to the bike so your counter steering is more effective. You can achieve the same by gripping the tank and locking your heels into the bike.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:38 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Pushing down on the outside peg really does nothing much. Well, it feels good ;) What it does do is anchor you to the bike so your counter steering is more effective. You can achieve the same by gripping the tank and locking your heels into the bike.

Riding a BMW C1 should be mandatory for anyone considering giving advice about pushing down on / 'weighting' footrests, etc. ;)

- you're belted in, so no body movement
- there are no footrests, your feet are on footboards, forward of you
- there's no petrol tank, it's a step-through

What's remaining? The handlebars.

But pressing the bars needs the famous 'equal and opposite' force, to push one way you need something to push against. Keith Code called pushing [eg] left bar and right footrest 'power steering'.

The C1 equivalent of gripping the tank with your knees is that you are anchored in the seat.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:29 am

Just watched it and I think he either doesn't really understand the points he's intending to make or isn't doing a great job of explaining.

And, unfortunately, some is wrong - like using direct steering in sweeping bends. Nope, that's just how a bike 'works', the front wheel turns 'in' after the bike is leaning.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:50 am

I have a 2021 BMW G310R, and this year I bought a 1978 BMW R60/7. When I first rode the R60 I found the steering so heavy that I thought the front tyre was flat before I realised the handlebars were a lot narrower than on the G310R. Applying gentle counter steering transforms the way it turns, even at very low speeds. I don’t consciously press down on the opposite foot peg but I do grip the tank with my knees.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am

It even works at slow speed. When coming to a halt, just before you nip in the clutch and give the final bit of braking, press forward (and release - don't keep the pressure on!) on the side you want to put your foot down.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:20 pm

I commented on Reg's YouTube channel and will see if anyone bites.

I usually point people to Keith Code's no-BS (body steer) bike video.

Also, the racer who has lost both his legs.

As I say, it does 'feel' right but if you look at my bike you'll see that I lock in with my heels and have worn the paint off the frame.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm

Jonquirk wrote:I have a 2021 BMW G310R, and this year I bought a 1978 BMW R60/7. When I first rode the R60 I found the steering so heavy that I thought the front tyre was flat before I realised the handlebars were a lot narrower than on the G310R. Applying gentle counter steering transforms the way it turns, even at very low speeds. I don’t consciously press down on the opposite foot peg but I do grip the tank with my knees.

One important aspect often missed out is the counter steering pressure has to be AROUND the headstock pivot point. So many guides, videos, trainers say "push down".

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:]
One important aspect often missed out is the counter steering pressure has to be AROUND the headstock pivot point. So many guides, videos, trainers say "push down".

Yup.

Another benefit of relaxed shoulders is that the closer your forearms are to horizontal, the easier the 'press' will be.

NB the MSF used to say 'push', then altered to 'press'.

And that's something else he didn't really get right. For most road riders, a little upper body 'in' will make hardly any difference to the bike's lean angle* (and even then, so what?), but it can help the 'press'. Also, it's better to lean slightly forward too (aka 'kiss the mirror') rather than his suggested sideways movement.

* or did he say 'stability'. If so, bikes are equally stable leant over as when upright and straight (which they never actually do ;) ). If they weren't stable, they'd fall over.

There's more, but my typing finger wants a rest :)

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:44 pm

Also, the advice is usually couched as push with the left hand to initially turn the wheel to the right which causes the bike to lean left and thus turn left, whereas I pull on the right bar to start the counter steer for a left turn. Just like when turning a steering wheel I feel that my fine control is better pulling, rather than pushing, which is why we usually refer to pull-push steering, instead of push-pull.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”