Drivers & riders see different things

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Ohlins

Drivers & riders see different things

Postby Ohlins » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:10 am

"A research project exploring motorcycle collisions and injury prevention, has found that there are differences in motorcyclists’ and car drivers’ visual attention because they may be viewing completely different things, despite being on the same stretch of road. For example, the brain naturally sees larger objects, like lorries, as threats as opposed to smaller objects such as motorcycles.

"The project, led by Bournemouth University’s PhD researcher Shel Silva, assessed neurological and cognitive influences of motorcyclists and car drivers. Data indicates that car drivers and motorcyclists have different visual attention patterns, due to the different types of hazards according to the vehicle type. Additionally, motorcyclist’s identification, perception, and knowledge of potential risk changes depending on their motorcycling qualifications and experience."

DocBike and Bournemouth University research suggests motorcycle collisions could be caused by riders and car drivers seeing different things

GTR1400MAN

Re: Drivers & riders see different things

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:54 pm

I thought the size/threat point had been known about for a long time?

I just think because you are so vulnerable on a motorbike and you are not isolated from your surroundings it makes sense that riders would look for different things to car drivers. My priorities regarding the road surface certainly changes when driving/riding.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:22 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I thought the size/threat point had been known about for a long time?

eg

The linked page mentions moving across the lane width. I will contact her and ask whether she is aware of Z Line, or any research to support it.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:19 pm

When I drive I consciously try to make a lateral position change approaching a side turning with a vehicle waiting to emerge. Generally away ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 pm

Gareth wrote:When I drive I consciously try to make a lateral position change approaching a side turning with a vehicle waiting to emerge. Generally away ;-)

Ditto

Two big potential 'wins':
- lateral movement may attract attention
- gives a greater safety margin if the other driver moves off

But there's also an overlooked advantage: mentally, you have moved from reactive to proactive, so possibly more likely to be thinking 'what if?' rather than 'WTF?' when it happens. This potentially dramatically shortening your reaction time.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:20 am

Gareth wrote:When I drive I consciously try to make a lateral position change approaching a side turning with a vehicle waiting to emerge. Generally away ;-)

You and me both. Particularly if vehicle is a white van or a large 4x4 propelled by a very short person. Lot of those in Berkshire. :gear:

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:22 am

Triquet wrote:Particularly if vehicle is a white van or a large 4x4 propelled by a very short person. Lot of those in Berkshire. :gear:

Short people or large white vehicles?

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:47 am

dvenman wrote:
Triquet wrote:Particularly if vehicle is a white van or a large 4x4 propelled by a very short person. Lot of those in Berkshire. :gear:

We have Lambourn, home to hundreds of racehorses - and jockeys :nono:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:23 pm

Horse wrote:
dvenman wrote:

We have Lambourn, home to hundreds of racehorses - and jockeys :nono:

And a tricky crossroads IIRC

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”