Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
exportmanuk

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
Horse wrote:
I had the 'transmit' button on the radio stick 'on' one day, so had to talk continuously for about 10 minutes (otherwise trainee would have had amplified wind noise broadcast to his ear). Trainee said it was really useful knowing what I had seen and was reacting to.

Couple of years back was out with one of the police instructors from GMP. Great guy very helpful but he gave a full running commentary whilst riding at speed through the Yorkshire lanes. Some it was helpful, it was also quite distracting at times. At one point he said I can see there is light flowing traffic on the A?? just seen a read car and a white van pass in the direction we will be taking. I nearly ran in to a hedge trying to find it. The bloody thing was size of a micro toy car on the horizon probably 4+ miles away. My lesson for that was when using radios for commentary keep it short and leave breaks for the other person(s) to absorb.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:27 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
Horse wrote:
I had the 'transmit' button on the radio stick 'on' one day, so had to talk continuously for about 10 minutes (otherwise trainee would have had amplified wind noise broadcast to his ear). Trainee said it was really useful knowing what I had seen and was reacting to.

Couple of years back was out with one of the police instructors from GMP. Great guy very helpful but he gave a gull running commentary whilst riding at speed through the Yorkshire lanes. Whilst some it was helpful, it was also quite distracting at times. At one point he said I can see there is light flowing traffic on the A?? just seen a read car and a white van pass in the direction we will be taking. I nearly ran in to a hedge trying to find it. The bloody thing was size of a micro toy car on the horizon probably 4+ miles away. My lesson for that was when using radios for commentary keep it short and leave breaks for the other person(s) to absorb.

Must be something to do with GMP. My Masters (car) examiner (GMP) admonished me for not mentioning during commentary a farm vehicle with amber flashing light approximately six miles away (I might exaggerate for effect, but it was a long way off).

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:10 am

crr003 wrote:My Masters (car) examiner (GMP) admonished me for not mentioning during commentary a farm vehicle with amber flashing light approximately six miles away (I might exaggerate for effect, but it was a long way off).

Could be a "where there's one there's another" thing. Particularly around harvest time, for example, when there will be fleet of tractors and trailers serving a combine.

Or they're scared to go out alone.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:22 am

or more likely an awareness that you are in an active farming zone with possible mud on the road at field entrances - which could occur around the corner where they were farming yesterday / last week...

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 am

akirk wrote:or more likely an awareness that you are in an active farming zone with possible mud on the road at field entrances - which could occur around the corner where they were farming yesterday / last week...

That's pretty much everywhere in the countryside though :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 am

Also, on narrow roads, become even more aware of potential passing places. I was out a couple of years back and, from a crest, saw the tractor waaaay in the distance. Found a place to wait, while it disappeared into a dip.

There were actually three in a convoy.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:28 am

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:or more likely an awareness that you are in an active farming zone with possible mud on the road at field entrances - which could occur around the corner where they were farming yesterday / last week...

That's pretty much everywhere in the countryside though :lol:

And, depending on recent weather, may or may not be a big problem for riders.

Worse still if cattle have recently been on the road :(

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:And something I don't know, but people here must do: is commentary a mandatory element of all advanced tests? [IAM, RoSPA, DIAmond, DVSA Special Test, HPC]

IAM only mandatory if you want to get a F1rst.

... and not even then if you write to the IAM post-test and bitch and moan enough about it.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:And something I don't know, but people here must do: is commentary a mandatory element of all advanced tests? [IAM, RoSPA, DIAmond, DVSA Special Test, HPC]

Presumably not for motorcyclists!

DIAmond Elite asks for a bit of commentary (according to their web site).
RoADAR Gold description implies they'd like it (but don't say it's mandatory).
HPC - it's not mentioned in their syllabus, but it used to be marked/assessed during entry assessment.
IAM - as Mike says for F1RST, and Masters.

I think it might be infringing on human rights etc. to demand/mandate commentary these days.

I asked one of my previous RoSPA examiners whether commentary was manadatory and her response was, "No, but I have to mark you on it."

Another one responded to the same question (different test) that there was nothing he would learn from my commentary that he would not be able to see in my driving.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:28 am

Horse wrote:
Worse still if cattle have recently been on the road :(

I am sure technology could help here, I know orange hazard lights on the lead and last cow in the heard whilst being moved on the road. Oh yes the main hazard nappies. :D

On second thoughts maybe not, being careful what one wishes for, the powers that be would put a10mph speed limit on all soiled roads. :evil:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”