Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:03 am

It's marginal but also my head/eyes are much higher. Do you have a particular one where this appears to happen as I'm always interested in feedback and analysis?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:24 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:It's marginal but also my head/eyes are much higher. Do you have a particular one where this appears to happen as I'm always interested in feedback and analysis?

Any possibility of local knowledge having an influence on your decisions?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:50 am

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:It's marginal but also my head/eyes are much higher. Do you have a particular one where this appears to happen as I'm always interested in feedback and analysis?

Local knowledge of upcoming places where an overtake may be possible. Local knowledge making me go too early ...I hope not.

I watched again and was happy with them all. Be Interested in what jochrane comes back with
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:44 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:

Local knowledge of upcoming places where an overtake may be possible. Local knowledge making me go too early ...I hope not.

What it might do is facilitate, or speed up, your decision-making.

Potentially a 'bad' thing if it led to assumptions (I prefer 'presumption' as it can't make a pre out of you and me ;) ).

But if it removes the "where does the road go next" and adds "I know there's a dodgy junction", then it's a good thing.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:42 pm

Apologies for not replying sooner. A matter of a heart attack intervened. The white van overtake looked OK the other overtakes gave the impression, if in a car, of what we call leading with the right foot. Accelerating at the same time as moving out and closing. Rather than coming out first, without closing, for the view and then accelerating.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:26 pm

jcochrane wrote:Apologies for not replying sooner. A matter of a heart attack intervened.

I hope not yours, and also hope that the outcome was as good as it could be.

Relative to the other vehicle
jcochrane wrote:Accelerating at the same time as moving out and closing.

'S'

Rather than
jcochrane wrote:Rather than coming out first, without closing, for the view and then accelerating.

'Z'

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:48 pm

jcochrane wrote:

Apologies for not replying sooner. A matter of a heart attack intervened. The white van overtake looked OK the other overtakes gave the impression, if in a car, of what we call leading with the right foot. Accelerating at the same time as moving out and closing. Rather than coming out first, without closing, for the view and then accelerating.

No problem, I know we don't all live online :)

I hope everyone concerned is ok.

Ahhh, firing the starting gun when still on my side of the road. A discussion I do have with Associates.

I watched them again. The last one is a classic 3 stage (though from quite some way back). In fact I was sat a long time on the other side of the road waiting for the view open in the distance (in case something was hidden by the lorry). The other 2 I'd argue that in the real world, rather than the theory of 3 stage vs momentum, that most overtakes are a hybrid of the two. It wasn't as if I was really close to the target vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback. This may generate some further discussion :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:14 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
The other 2 I'd argue that in the real world, rather than the theory of 3 stage vs momentum, that most overtakes are a hybrid of the two. It wasn't as if I was really close to the target vehicle.

And that's one instance where local knowledge can help, starting close up when a nearing a suitable location.

Probably it's reasonable to acknowledge that on most bikes it's very easy to use just a small whiff of extra throttle to start to close the gap while maintaining awareness of not just the car ahead but also (by looking over and around) what's happening ahead. Then, if not on, back off again by just a small closing of throttle to reset.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:28 pm

Horse wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Apologies for not replying sooner. A matter of a heart attack intervened.

I hope not yours, and also hope that the outcome was as good as it could be.

Relative to the other vehicle
jcochrane wrote:Accelerating at the same time as moving out and closing.

'S'

Rather than
jcochrane wrote:Rather than coming out first, without closing, for the view and then accelerating.

'Z'

Not sure what "s" and "Z" means.
Heart attack was myself but an experienced paramedic took me to Sussex Hospital, after sending my ECG to them, rather than to the nearest hospital. Sussex has one of the best cardiac units. Whipped straight in and operated on. No time though for sedation, local anaesthetic or pain killers. Feeling good now.and I persuaded them to let me drive after a week rather than a month that they proposed.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:49 pm

Blimey, GWS (although it sounds like you are anyway.

S =

----\____

Z =

----|_____

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”