Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Triquet

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby Triquet » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm

It's an interesting point. If you are out there and you see several bikes astern, clearly riding as a group, you are more likely to ease off to let the group pass ....

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:15 pm

A well placed/thought out easing is fine, as per the highway code.

Sadly few are. They either stamp on the brakes in a panic at the sight of a bike in their mirrors, switch into "they shall not pass" mode and accelerate as you move out, or ease just before a junction, or more often before a bend I can't see through.

I/we'd much prefer they continue driving as they have been and leave it to us to decide.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Back to videos :)
A short Tip Clip this time.
Resisting Overtaking Temptation

If a vehicle had started to move in the driveway, you could *probably* have ducked back behind the car.

Might have been squeaky but better than the alternative.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:22 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:A well placed/thought out easing is fine, as per the highway code.

I/we'd much prefer they continue driving as they have been and leave it to us to decide.

I would view it as an acknowledgement from them that they knew I was there.

But, if you don't want to pass, perhaps also a reason to drop much further back? On those sorts of roads, it's unlikely a group could pass, so you might have had to 'wait' (ie match speed) just ahead of the car while the remainder gradually caught up, potentially confusing them because you didn't hurtle off like a reckless ton-up hells angel ;)

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:12 pm

Triquet wrote:It's an interesting point. If you are out there and you see several bikes astern, clearly riding as a group, you are more likely to ease off to let the group pass ....

I wish groups of bikers would show the same cooperation to folk that catch them up as they want to be shown themselves. I've always wondered why bikers are so insecure they can't go for a ride on their own :twisted:

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:21 pm

jont- wrote: I've always wondered why bikers are so insecure they can't go for a ride on their own :twisted:

It is a paradox; take up a solitary activity, then get drawn together into groups and ride to the same few haunts.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:21 pm

jont- wrote:
Triquet wrote:It's an interesting point. If you are out there and you see several bikes astern, clearly riding as a group, you are more likely to ease off to let the group pass ....

I wish groups of bikers would show the same cooperation to folk that catch them up as they want to be shown themselves. I've always wondered why bikers are so insecure they can't go for a ride on their own :twisted:

I also hopefully wish bikers would show the same courtesy, as they expect from others, but I'm always disappointed. Many bikers sadly have a superiority attitude towards "cagers". So strange when many drive cars.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:36 pm

You are all welcome to pass. You'll need to break the speed limit though ;)

Our 'group' is only ever 5 or 6 at max, and we may be well separated. I don't get the need to stay packed together.

We'll be heading to a small tea or coffee shop at some beauty spot. We avoid the big gatherings and 'favourite roads' (racetracks :o).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:You are all welcome to pass. You'll need to break the speed limit though ;)

Is your job trafpol now? ;) Besides, bikes can't go around corners very well :P :racing: :steering:

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:42 pm

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:You are all welcome to pass. You'll need to break the speed limit though ;)

Is your job trafpol now? ;) :

Totally off topic, but I used to know a guy who was a special constable - scored a gig on traffic riding bikes!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”