Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:52 pm

crr003 wrote:I think it might be infringing on human rights etc. to demand/mandate commentary these days.

Sorry, are you referring to DVSA? :lol:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:I think it might be infringing on human rights etc. to demand/mandate commentary these days.

Sorry, are you referring to DVSA? :lol:

Not specifically.
You've got people with speech impediments - being able to talk the talk is not really required on a driving test.
You've got people who would be adequate drivers, but would be overloaded if they had to explain to a stranger what they were doing and why.
I think it should be attempted if possible for advanced work.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 am

Ok, I'll be serious.

Yes, I see what you mean. It's interesting, though, that a motorcyclist can be assessed without giving a commentary and by someone on a separate vehicle some distance away.

The examiner bases marking decisions on a range of things. So how is driving different?

Also, commentary will take away some concentration from the driving task, so would need to be introduced carefully and practiced on when the learner has sufficient capacity.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:11 am

Horse wrote:
Also, commentary will take away some concentration from the driving task.

100% agree. A running commentary in the head is a must but once vocalised requires part of the brain to be diverted for that task. I strongly believe that it is vital to be totally focused and committed to the task of driving or riding and avoid distractions such as talking.

In my view an exception might be justified where an instructor/coach uses it to convey a training point.

If an examiner, coach, observer, tutor etc. requires a commentary to gain understanding about what a trainee is thinking or where they are looking etc. then they should examine their ability to do that job.

Sorry for the rant but it's just common sense to me and I think it is irresponsible that that any examining body should require a commentary to gain a qualification. One exception is blue light training where radio communication is an unavoidable necessity as part of the job whilst driving/riding. :soap:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 am

Interesting point John. I am not sure that the "examples" of commentary bandied about are actually that helpful. They seem to suggest that the driver is required to provide a full running commentary in full grammatical sentences whereas surely it is sufficient to make fairly short and cryptic observations followed by appropriate actions. Surely it is sufficent to just say "horse" and react appropriately rather than blather on "I see a horse and rider on my side of the road, I will slow down and move to the offside of the road taking care to have a final glance in my mirror to ensure that I am not been mown down by a loony from astern" ... by which time you have hit the horse. :gear:

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:48 am

Triquet wrote:"horse"

Huh? What have I said or done wrong now? :)

Triquet wrote:I am not sure that the "examples" of commentary bandied about are actually that helpful.

I had the 'transmit' button on the radio stick 'on' one day, so had to talk continuously for about 10 minutes (otherwise trainee would have had amplified wind noise broadcast to his ear). Trainee said it was really useful knowing what I had seen and was reacting to.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Triquet wrote:Interesting point John. I am not sure that the "examples" of commentary bandied about are actually that helpful. They seem to suggest that the driver is required to provide a full running commentary in full grammatical sentences whereas surely it is sufficient to make fairly short and cryptic observations followed by appropriate actions. Surely it is sufficent to just say "horse" and react appropriately rather than blather on "I see a horse and rider on my side of the road, I will slow down and move to the offside of the road taking care to have a final glance in my mirror to ensure that I am not been mown down by a loony from astern" ... by which time you have hit the horse. :gear:

Well actually that was what was required when I took IAM Masters and in addition Examiner wanted a comment repeated when carrying out that action even it had already been mentioned ie. if I said "approaching acute blind left bend and will require 2nd gear" I had to mention "taking 2nd gear now" at the moment of taking the gear. Quite daft in my view. :roll:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm

jcochrane wrote:Well actually that was what was required when I took IAM Masters and in addition Examiner wanted a comment repeated when carrying out that action even it had already been mentioned ie. if I said "approaching acute blind left bend and will require 2nd gear" I had to mention "taking 2nd gear now" at the moment of taking the gear. Quite daft in my view. :roll:

Commentary should be about what's developing and what you are GOING to do about it.

Saying that you are going to take a lower gear to descend a hill would be ok.

Of course it depends on what the purpose of the commentary is: demo for someone else's learning, or to explain your planning/reasoning to an examiner/tutor.

Demo rides using video, or live with an Associate, always seems to work well.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 pm

jcochrane wrote:Examiner wanted a comment repeated when carrying out that action even it had already been mentioned ie. if I said "approaching acute blind left bend and will require 2nd gear" I had to mention "taking 2nd gear now" at the moment of taking the gear. Quite daft in my view. :roll:

Utterly mad. Does my head in.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm

Horse wrote:
I had the 'transmit' button on the radio stick 'on' one day, so had to talk continuously for about 10 minutes (otherwise trainee would have had amplified wind noise broadcast to his ear). Trainee said it was really useful knowing what I had seen and was reacting to.

Couple of years back was out with one of the police instructors from GMP. Great guy very helpful but he gave a gull running commentary whilst riding at speed through the Yorkshire lanes. Whilst some it was helpful, it was also quite distracting at times. At one point he said I can see there is light flowing traffic on the A?? just seen a read car and a white van pass in the direction we will be taking. I nearly ran in to a hedge trying to find it. The bloody thing was size of a micro toy car on the horizon probably 4+ miles away. My lesson for that was when using radios for commentary keep it short and leave breaks for the other person(s) to absorb.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”