Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby jcochrane » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 pm

vanman wrote:

Another point is timing. All too often you see riders looking over to the right - mirror, shoulder, lifesaver, whatever - exactly when there attention should be ahead, keeping aware of a serious danger. Also on timing, do a mirror check during a period of 'light' mental load, rather than waiting for a hazard to trigger 'the system'.

Absolutely, same with indicating do it while you do not have to work out the hazard. Better to indicate early than late. (go on guys argue) :evil:

I would not argue on that. You'll remember that when we talked about this recently I said I used to follow the IAM guidance on signalling, although not entirely comfortable with their views, and I have now rejected their advice and gone back to what I had worked out decades ago as a better approach. Basically give a signal unless you can find a good reason not to.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am

Horse wrote:Another point is timing. All too often you see riders looking over to the right - mirror, shoulder, lifesaver, whatever - exactly when there attention should be ahead, keeping aware of a serious danger. Also on timing, do a mirror check during a period of 'light' mental load, rather than waiting for a hazard to trigger 'the system'.

Yes, I touched on that in the video. Get your checks in nice and early so you can actually do something about what you see. For many the head turning is just acting, just flicking their head about because they've been told they need to.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:On a learner motorbike test would the powers that be expect a "proper" shoulder check?

Yes. :)

I have since spoken to learner instructor and the key phrase is "effective rear obs". He says he only teaches mirror plus blind spot check for pulling away from the kerb. A quick search online finds many school sites saying "shoulder check" or "over the shoulder check" as well as "blind spot check". So who knows?

Reading between the lines I can feel local examiner preferences having some influence.

I remembered that, hidden the cupboard, was a copy of DSA's (as it was then) 2005 Official Guide to RIDING.

How clear would Sir like his mud?

P68 Moving off

" - See if there's anything in the blind area on your right ... not covered by mirrors."

But, of course, it's not actually that clear - that would be too easy. The full(er - I'm not copy typing, one fingered on the phone, all of it) preceding text includes:

- Now look over your right shoulder

It's important that you look around. Looking around will show you:

So, in order given:
1. Look over your shoulder
2. Look around
3. Check blind spot not covered by the mirror

Let's look at P104, Rear observation

Rear observation refers to a combination of mirror checks and looking behind.

Mirrors don't always give a clear view behind, leaving significant blind spots. There will be times when you need to look around to see the full picture.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:45 pm

crr003 wrote:......
There is flexibility in the DVSA, but when it comes to tests, people go for a standard repeatable formula. Go on any ADI forum and say "the six point check isn't mandatory" then run away quickly. Some ADIs teach this robotic six point check starting from the rear near side blind spot irrespective of road layout/hazards.

Wow, talk about timing! Maybe one of them reads this.....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/drivert ... 296387492/

Proving yet again a group of n ADIs will have n+3 or greater things to say.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:11 am

Wow, just read some of that. :o Just confirms a lot of people's suspicions of teaching to drive by numbers. Move the the head to the places required like a automaton as that's what the examiner likes to see (maybe).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Begs the question as to whether commentary should be part of the basic driving and riding tests.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:30 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Begs the question as to whether commentary should be part of the basic driving and riding tests.

Training rather than test, and a trial:

https://trid.trb.org/view/1143984

The training package was based on having small groups of either experienced or recently qualified motorcyclists participate in commentary and discussion using video clips filmed from a motorcycle. Results indicated that both experienced and recently qualified motorcyclists showed a sensitivity to the hazards in the test (they chose lower speeds in those film clips with hazards than in those without hazards), but that experienced riders were more sensitive to the presence of hazards than were recently qualified motorcyclists. The training intervention had the outcome of recently qualified motorcycle riders reducing their speed choice, but did not have any impact on the speed choice of experienced riders.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:38 am

And something I don't know, but people here must do: is commentary a mandatory element of all advanced tests? [IAM, RoSPA, DIAmond, DVSA Special Test, HPC]

Presumably not for motorcyclists!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Horse wrote:And something I don't know, but people here must do: is commentary a mandatory element of all advanced tests? [IAM, RoSPA, DIAmond, DVSA Special Test, HPC]

IAM only mandatory if you want to get a F1rst.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Horse wrote:And something I don't know, but people here must do: is commentary a mandatory element of all advanced tests? [IAM, RoSPA, DIAmond, DVSA Special Test, HPC]

Presumably not for motorcyclists!

DIAmond Elite asks for a bit of commentary (according to their web site).
RoADAR Gold description implies they'd like it (but don't say it's mandatory).
HPC - it's not mentioned in their syllabus, but it used to be marked/assessed during entry assessment.
IAM - as Mike says for F1RST, and Masters.

I think it might be infringing on human rights etc. to demand/mandate commentary these days.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”