Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Gareth

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Do (modern) motorcycles have indicators? Did the rider think car drivers always go around mini-roundabouts? Does the rider normally drive?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Gareth wrote:Do (modern) motorcycles have indicators?

He was indicating. My blurring of the number plate has obscured that (it's not a very precise video effect).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:51 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:My latest. Very short and this time you get to do the analysis/feedback :)

What was wrong with that then?
Normal cager behaviour. Might have lost the biker in the A pillar.
Of course, hi viz would have helped............

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:58 pm

crr003 wrote:
Of course, hi viz would have helped............

That's a very good point.

It might have cushioned his fall :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm afraid I disagree about hi-viz in this circumstance. If the A-pillar blocked the view of the bike, how would hi-viz have made any difference?

If the rider wasn't hidden from view by the A-pillar, then I might argue that the all-black clothing was more conspicuous than wearing a hi-viz vest on top. All-black jacket and pants are a uniform colour, and this uniformity makes the rider look like a human shape. Adding a hi-viz vest on top breaks up the rider's profile. Counter-intuitively, would a black helmet have more this rider more visible? It would have reinforced his or her human shape.

Usually, I think white helmets add conspicuity. In this specific circumstance, there's a fair bit of white in the background, so perhaps the white colour reduced conspicuity on this occasion.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Pssst Might have been a bit tongue in cheek ... at least, that's how I read it ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:31 pm

crr003 wrote:What was wrong with that then?

This is what I've added to the video on YouTube and on the ROSPA Facebook page ...
MikeRobertsOnYouTube wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback both here and elsewhere. Lots of different pieces of advice and thoughts on what was right, wrong and could have been done better. This shows just how things are not as ‘cut and dried’ as many would like them to be. Several of the comments concentrated on the fact the rider was legal when he joined the RAB and this was indeed one of the things we discussed in the de-brief. On the day, from my following position, I felt that both the rider and the dark coloured Audi were ‘pushey’ to get onto the roundabout. The Audi cutting the RAB was the icing on the cake. We discussed ‘Planning to stop, Looking to go’ and that a slightly slower approach and stopping because of the Audi’s approach speed, may have been prudent. Yes, technically the rider was correct, as the Audi was not on the RAB, but with the short amount of space on a mini-RAB sometimes yielding to vehicles approaching from the right is the correct action.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Horse wrote:Pssst Might have been a bit tongue in cheek ... at least, that's how I read it ;)

Ah, crr003 was being tongue in cheek. I guess that's my poor observation :D I must do one of those AMI Smartroad courses about taking and using information better :mrgreen:

I'll get my hi-viz coat ...

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Ohlins wrote:
Horse wrote:Pssst Might have been a bit tongue in cheek ... at least, that's how I read it ;)

Ah, crr003 was being tongue in cheek. I guess that's my poor observation :D I must do one of those AMI Smartroad courses about taking and using information better :mrgreen:

Sorry, I should have put a smiley face thingy.
I was going to add "and Horse will be here in 3...2..."

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:19 am

crr003 wrote:
Ohlins wrote:

Sorry, I should have put a smiley face thingy.
I was going to add "and Horse will be here in 3...2..."

On one forum for a while, for the same reason, my sig line said 'Learning to use smilies' :)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”